Sorry for the delay in posts. Even bloggers like to drink all weekend and be lazy on Sundays.
That was the sweet music being sung by Blackhawks fans when Cristobal Huet received the First Star after Saturday night’s 2-0, 27-save shutout against the Nashville Predators. It made me believe for about two seconds people actually read what I wrote about some ‘Hawks fans the other day.
Nevertheless, the support was great to see/hear around the United Center, and I can only hope it continues so I don’t have to break any heads. Huet looked like a new man, coming out of the crease in position and contesting shots, diving across the crease for saves and hugging the post when needed (finally). Simply, Huet looked like a goaltender with confidence. Hopefully with a shutout performance — so what if it was against lowly Nashville? — and the home crowd finally getting behind him, that confidence will continue to grow.
Now for the first time all season, it’s known for an entire week’s worth of games who the Blackhawks will start in net. Coach Q is going with Huet again tonight against the Minnesota Wild, a move that sets his goaltending situation for the next three games. After Huet goes against the Wild, Coach Q almost undoubtedly will again go with Huet — who has obviously had Nashville’s number this season — at the Predators on Thursday, then start Antti Niemi in the second game of back-to-back tilts on Friday at home against Montreal.
Some Wild notes:
- Former Blackhawk Martin Havlat returns to Chicago having scored only one goal and four assists in eight games and has an awful minus-8 rating. But hopefully his new EA Sports FIFA game is helping him cope with that.
- Seabrook and Jonathan Toews both missed practice Sunday for more rest. Though Coach Q says they’re both “progressing,” their status is iffy for Minnesota.
- Cal Clutterbuck has the best name in the NHL.
- Minnesota is coming off a 3-2 OT win against Carolina. Cal Clutterbuck scored the winner because he has such a cool name.
- I’ll be in my usual seat for the game — Section 326, Row 12, Seat 11.