Not a whole lot to talk about from last night’s game. The Blackhawks played a solid 1st period and got a huge goal from Brent Seabrook. The Hawks came out a tried to be physical in 2nd period. That isn’t the Hawks style, this is a team that needs to use its speed and skill. Trying to go hit for hit takes them out of their game. The Hawks seemed very tentative all night long. If you play tentative you are going to lose a lot more than you are going to win. The Blackhawks have left 8 points in Alberta this year. 8 points against 2 teams they should beat. With a very close Central Division and Western Conference, those 8 points are going to come back and bite you.
- If the last two games has shown us anything its that Bryan Bickell and Michael Frolik do not belong on a NHL roster right now. Frolik’s double minor for high sticking was not only dumb but very costly. Not a good move from someone who has been a healthy scratch lately.
- The goal the Flames scored on Frolik’s penalty was something we have seen all season from the Blackhawks penalty kill. For whatever reason the Hawks forwards refuse to challenge shots from the point. Brent Seabrook did absolutely nothing to prevent Jay Bouwmeester from putting the rebound into the Hawks net. If you are not going to clear him out of the crease at the very least tie up his stick. The combination of not challenging shots from the point and not clearing the crease has killed the Blackhawks all season long.
- The Flames 3rd goal was all on Duncan Keith. He just stood still and let Jarome Iginla get behind him and have his way with Ray Emery. You can’t let anyone get behind you like that let alone a guy who has over 500 career goals!
- Paging Marion Hossa. Did he get left behind in Ottawa?
- Steve Montador’s two 3rd period penalties didn’t do much to help the cause. Its hard to watch a veteran defenseman take two penalties in the 3rd period of a game when the team is trying to come from behind.
- Dave Bolland taking no shots and finishing -2 is not good for business either!
- I know its only been 3 games but I have not been impressed with Brendan Morrison at all.
Patrick Kane made a beautiful pass to set up the Blackhawks only goal of the night. He has picked up an assist in all 3 games since the All Star break. He seems to be rejuvenated offensively. What some people need to understand is Kaner is not an elite goal scorer. I don’t think he is ever going to be a 40 goal scorer. He is a play maker and is the best set up man the Blackhawks have.
My Turd Of The Game
Michael Frolik’s double minor for high sticking killed the Blackhawks. He has not contributed at all on offense this year. I have lost all faith that he will ever score another goal. He has contributed on defense, which is saving his job. If he is going to start taking dumb, back breaking penalties then he offers this team nothing. With the trade deadline fast approaching, I think Frolik’s days in Chicago are numbered.