The Blackhawks did exactly what you are supposed to do with bad teams at home. Let’s make no mistake, the Washington Capitals are a bad team. They couldn’t wait to fire Bruce Boudreau but they have gotten worse under Dale Hunter. The Blackhawks got off to another fast start jumping out to a lead at the 3:35 mark of the 1st period and added a second goal just a over 4 minutes later. It is amazing what scoring first can do for you! The 1st period was one of the most complete periods the Hawks have played in quite some time. They dominated the play both offensively and defensively. It took the Capitals over 16 minutes to get their first shot on goal and only managed 18 for the entire game. The Blackhawks had 12 shots and 2 goals before Corey Crawford had to make a save. I am pretty sure I saw Crow reading a copy of “The Hunger Games” during most of the 1st period. I am hoping that the Hawks have realized coming to play from the opening face off and not starting in the 2nd period makes it much easier on them. This was a good win heading into the bye week with the Blue Jackets on the schedule for Tuesday night.
- Andrew Shaw continues to play over his head and that’s ok. He had himself a nice little game and has fallen in love with the toe drag. If Bryan Bickell could have got him the puck for the empty netter and a hat trick, Chicago would have experienced it’s biggest meatball orgasm since Dick Butkus debuted on “Hang Time.”
- Looks like Dave Bolland is getting into playoff form which is a very good thing. I am looking forward to seeing him against his favorite set of twins on Wednesday.
- Niklas Hjalmarrson should never be paired with a young defenseman, ever. Nick Leddy was awful with him and know Dylan Olsen is bad with him. Will Hjammer ever learn how to clear his own zone?
- Duncan Keith was absolutely embarrassed on the Alex Ovechkin goal. Try putting your stick on the ice for a poke check. And Crawford was way too deep in his own net and cheating to middle despite Brent Seabrook having that area covered. It was a great move by Ovi but the goal could have been prevented.
- The more I see of Johnny Oduya the more I want to sign him in the offseason. He loves getting the puck to the net which is a good thing.
- If Marcus Kruger is going to keep passing up shots from the slot on the power play then he needs to get pulled off the PP unit.
- The Blackhawks won 65% of the faceoffs last night. Yes please!
- Dear Dimtri Orlov, Viktor Stalberg is really fast. Try and stay awake in the film room buddy.
- Watching both teams lineup and shakes hands with linesman Dan Schachte, who officiated his last game after 30 years in the NHL, was cool to see. It shows the brotherhood that makes the game of hockey the best on the planet.
My Blackhawks Player of the Game
I know Shaw had two goals and an assist and Bryan Bickell had 3 points but Patrick Kane was sick last night. He had his swagger going at full force. Kaner scored on a great give and go between Marian Hossa, Andrew Brunette and himself. I could have scored on that play. He could have easily had 2 or 3 more points. Kane wasn’t just great with the puck either he played a solid defensive game as well. You don’t hear too much of the dumb chatter to trade 88 now, do you?
My Turd of the Game
Jason Chimera threw a temper tantrum last night that would have made the “Super Nanny” cringe. He was crying about getting cut by a stick, but it was during the follow through of a shot, which is not a penalty. His next shift he took a run at Johnny Oduya on a dangerous play but thankfully missed him. But he didn’t stop there, he took an awful tripping penalty in his own zone and continued to cry all the way to the box.