One last day in 2012 and we could wrap it up and put it to bed! As a Chicago Blackhawks fan I would like to say one thing about this past calendar years……. Thank goodness its over!!
When looking back at the entirety of the past twelve months there wasn’t a lot of good things but a few so here a few highlights and lowlights for me of the past 365 days.
1. Hawks survive the Toews concussion to make the playoffs- When Jonathan Toews went down with a concussion no one could have imagined that it meant he wouldn’t step back on the ice for the rest of the regular season. If you had told me he was done until the playoffs , I would have told you then that deep down inside I figured the Hawks would fold up just like the Bears did when Cutler broke his thumb a few months earlier. The one thing I forgot is the heart of a champion! Not every Hawks player was on the Stanley Cup team but enough still were around to keep the Blackhawks playoff hopes alive.
2. Toews return- The Captain returned from his concussion just in time for the playoffs and he scored a goal on his first shot on goal of the playoffs. Then in spectacular fashion single handily won a road game in overtime with a face off win and great move and shot. He’s the leader that most teams wish they had on their team.
3. The pipeline- Stan Bowman has not done much at trade deadlines but he’s proving to be loading up the franchise with quality young prospects with successful drafts including the steal of the draft two years in a row with Brandon Saad and Teuvo Teravainen. Keeping the cupboard full may be Bowman’s best attribute.
1. The Raffi Torres hit on Marian Hossa.
2. Donald Fehr ruining hockey just like he did baseball.
3. The powerplay- it was harder to watch than Lovie Smith throwing a challenge flag.
4. Lockdown 2012. I’ve posted enough on this topic but all I have to say is hopefully both sides are smart enough not to throw away the entire season.
The bad far out weigh the good but hopefully 2012 is as bad as it gets and when the calendar turns to 2013 tonight it will be the light at the end of the tunnel.
Good bye 2012 I will not remember you very fondly!
END THE LOCKOUT!!
We are on Twitter @Blackhawk_Up and friend us on Facebook at Blackhawk Up