The Blackhawks face their oldest and most played against rival there isn’t a lot about the Red Wings that Hawks fans don’t know about, but here are some quick thoughts about the Red Wings.
1. Pavel Datsyuk is pretty Awesome. He led the team in scoring in the regular season with 49 points and led them in the playoffs in the first round. He’s in anyone’s list as top 3 all around player in the NHL and the Hawks will need to keep him in check if they want to reach the Conference Finals. If there was every a reason to have a healthy and highly annoying Dave Bolland it would be for this series and to shut down Datsyuk and his line.
2. The loss of Danny DeKeyser hurts- The Red Wings, after struggling to the trade deadline with their defense, had settled in nicely with the signing of the college star DeKeyser. Unfortunately for the Red Wings DeKeyser broke his thumb and their defense will be suspect against the potent Blackhawks offense. They were able to keep Anaheim in check but there was a reason for that and it’s coming up.
3. This isn’t your Father’s Red Wings offense- The biggest weakness for the Red Wings had to be their scoring. They only scored 122 goals for the shortened season which ranked tied for 19th. After Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg it’s hard to find consistent scoring down their lineup. The secret of the Hawks season has been four lines rolling but the Wings bottom 6 has not been productive this season.
4. Too many Fish Stories- There will be entirely too many mentions, pictures, and stories of Octopus or Octopi. It doesn’t even make any sense since it doesn’t take 8 wins anymore to win the Stanley Cup. It’s gross and a real fishy tradition.
5. Jimmy Howard is the reason- The real reason the Red Wings are playing the Hawks is Jimmy Howard, and the only realistic way the Red Wings advance is if Howard stands on his head for 7 games and gets into the Hawks scorers heads. Howard in the first round had a 2.74 Goals Against Average and a .911 Save percentage. This will be the key and determining factor in the series.
Bonus thought- Win or lose this will be the last time the Hawks and Red Wings face each other as divisional and conference adversaries.
What’s your quick thought about Detroit?
For more Blackhawks updates and conversation follow us on Twitter @Blackhawk_Up or Like us on Facebook at Blackhawkup.