Current #28-Ben Smith Smith has had a different path to the Blackhawks lineup while getting his name on the Stanley Cup. Smith became a folk hero for his Game #6 overtime goal against the Vancouver Canucks in 2011. Smith was on the active roster and was an emergency play in Game #3 of the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals when Marian Hossa couldn’t play. Now Smith will have every chance possible to be a regular part of the 2013-2014 season including rumors of penalty kill replacement for Michael Frolik.
1. Larry Romanchych-1971 Romanchych played the first 10 of his 298 NHL career games in Chicago. He picked up 2 assists in Chicago, but for his career he scored 68 goals and 97 assists.
2. Doug Hicks 1978-1979 Hicks played in 57 games with the Blackhawks picking up 2 goals and 15 assists before being claimed by the Edmonton Oilers in the 1979 expansion draft.
3. Kirk Bowman 1979- Bowman dressed in 88 games for Chicago picking up 11 goals and 17 assists.
4. Tim Trimper-1980 Trimper played the first 30 games of his NHL career with the Hawks scoring 6 goals and 10 assists before getting traded to the Winnipeg Jets.
5. Miles Zaharko- 1981 Zaharko played 3 seasons with the Hawks and wore 4 different jersey numbers (7,26,8,28) He scored 4 goals and 13 assists in the early 80′s.
6. Doug Crossman-1981-1982 Crossman also wore #23 with the Hawks, he played in 159 games scoring 25 goals and 70 assists in a career that lasted 14 seasons.
7. Steve Larmer 1983-1993 Larmer ranks 3rd all-time in goals scored while wearing a Blackhawks jersey with 406 and 4th in points with 923. Larmer’s #28 should already be retired and up in the UC rafters as one of the Blackhawks all-time greats. He played on my favorite line of all-time with Denis Savard and Al Secord. Larmer and the 80′s Hawks never made it to the Stanley Cup Finals, but Larmer was on the 1994 New York Rangers team that won their first cup since 1940.
8. Mark Bell 2001-2007 Bell played in 334 games for the Hawks during one of the worst ages of Blackhawks history. Bell scored 72 goals and 79 assists while wearing the Blackhawks sweater.
9. Michael Blunden 2008 Blunden played 10 games without picking up a point for the Hawks before taking his talents to Columbus.
10. Martin Lapointe 2008 Lapointe played in the NHL from 1991-2008 but his Blackhawks career was only 52 games of his 991 played. In his brief stay he scored 3 goals and 4 assists before ending his career with the Ottawa Senators.
11. Craig Adams-2008-2009 Adams played in 72 contests wearing #28 picking up 4 goals and 8 assists along the way. Adams now plays for the Pittsburgh Penguins with a cap hit of $675,000.
12. Jake Dowell-2010-2011 Dowell was a 5th round pick by the Hawks in the 2004 draft. Dowell played a full season for the Hawks in 2010-2011 6 goals and 15 assists before signing with the Dallas Stars.
Only 28 days until the season starts and hopefully one day Steve Larmer’s #28 will head to the UC rafters with the Blackhawks 5 Stanley Cup banners.