With the NHL season started, we give our first power rankings of the season. We will start at the top.
- 1. Chicago Blackhawks: The reigning champions raised the banner on Tuesday. The core is still intact with some new pieces added on. Can they repeat?
- 2. Boston Bruins: The Eastern Conference champs maybe some changes in the offseason, trading problem child Tyler Seguin away to Dallas. They still have the majority of their team intact and should be primed for another run at the Stanley Cup.
3. Pittsburgh Penguins: Sid the Kid is back healthy but how long will he stay that way? Evgeni Malkin had a great season last year. The biggest question for the Penguins is their goal tender, Marc-Andre Fleury. He was shaky at best last year. Thomas Voukun out 3-6 months with a blood clot.
4. Detroit Red wings: The move to Eastern conference will not deter the Red Wings quest to win another Cup. Daniel Alfredsson could be a huge addition to the Wings.
5. The Los Angeles Kings: The Kings have the best goalie in the World in Jonathan Quick with a very good team in front of him. Will Dan Carcillo injury himself? Can the Kings overcome the Blackhawks?
6. The Vancouver Canucks: The Canucks have a motivated Roberto Luongo in net. Daniel and Henrik Sedin are still very good players. Will John Tortorella take the Canucks to the next level? When will be his first post game rant?
7. Montreal Canadians: The Canadians are back! The 2011-12 season was blimp on the radar. They finished first in their division last season with a down year from Carey Price.
8. St Louis Blue: The Blues do not play a finesse game; they are defensive team and grind you into dust. They have issues in goal that they need to fix if they want to challenge the Blackhawks in the Central Division.
9. San Jose Sharks: When the Sharks traded Ryan Clowe, Michal Handzus, and Douglas Murray, everyone around the NHL thought they were gutting the team. Turns out they were just moving out some unused parts.
10. Washington Capitals: Alexander Ovechkin leads a decent supporting cast in 2013-14 but the question always is, how far will they go?