This week the San Jose Sharks suffered their first regulation loss of the season. The Sharks loss just magnifies how impressive the Blackhawks streak was last season. We have our two teams that were up this week, Colorado Avalanche and Nashville Predators. The Avalache jumped from 6 to 3 and the Predators jumped from 23 to 15. Two teams that fell in the rankings this week was the Montreal Canadians and The Dallas Stars. Canadians fell from 11 to 18. Dallas plummeted from 12 to 23. Two teams that stayed the same Buffalo Sabres and San Jose Sharks.This week featured some cheap shots, suspensions, and impressive saves. Here are the Week 5 Power rankings.
30. Buffalo Sabres: 2-10-1 John Scott of the Sabres will suspended for 10 games for his cheap shot against the Bruins. The Sabres have as many captains as they do wins.
29. Philadelphia Flyers 3-7-0: The Flyers have won back to back games for the first time this season. One more win in a row will be a winning streak, it has happened before.
27. Edmonton Oilers 3-8-0 The Oilers are BAD and Nail Yakupov’s is still in Edmonton. Good news for the Oilers and their fans, they scored 4 goals on Saturday, but news is their opponent Phoenix scored 5.
26. Florida Panthers 3-7-1: The Panthers are not playing well, but three of their last four losses have been by one goal. Tim Thomas tweaked his groin earlier this week, while Kris Versteeg doesn’t understand, “I don’t know why the hockey gods aren’t shining on us right now”. Sorry Kris but you’re on a terrible team.
25: New York Rangers 3-6-0: Henrik Lundqvist is recovering from an unknown injury. The Rangers defeated the Red Wings to improve to 3-6. Oh Torts, OH Torts, where is my Torts?
24. Ottawa Senators 4-4-2: The Senators were playing undisciplined hockey last week. Saturday they slso suffered a heart breaking loss to the Anaheim Ducks this week, and we will get to see the Senators at the United Center on Tuesday night.
23. The Dallas Stars 4-5-1: It might be a little early for us to expect great things from the newly revamped Dallas Stars. The Stars lost in a shootout to the Jets 2-1 on Saturday, but at least most people like their new jerseys!
22. Washington Capitals 5-5-0: Alex Ovechkin is scoring at a high rate. He has 10 goals in 10 games not to mention five assists, and after a slow start the Caps are starting to pick up some wins.
21. Calgary Flames 4-4-2, Karri Ramo notched his first win of this young NHL season. He got the honor of wearing the Fire helmet of the Calagry fire department. The Flames were the biggest surprise in Week #1, but they are starting to slide where they belong.
20. Columbus Blue Jackets 5-5-0: Nathan Horton signed with the Blue Jackets to get away from the pressure of Boston. Well Horton will be away from hockey, he is out with a shoulder injury for 3 to 4 months.