20. NY Rangers: 8-8-0: Al Vignealuts finally has the Rangers buying into his style of play. Brad Richards has 5 goals 8 assists and 13 points on the season. Henrik Lundqvist might have finally figured it out 5-6-0 with a 2.42 goals against. Not all is well; Rick Nash is out with a concussion.
19. The Montreal Canadiens 8-8-1: The Canadiens started 5-2 since then they have gone 3-6-1 in their last 10. Don’t Fret Habs fans, if the playoffs started today, they would be in. By the way since the first game of the year, the Habs have not played a complete game with a healthy lineup.
18. The Dallas Stars 8-7-2: Earlier this week the Stars defeated the Boston Bruins in a shootout, with goals from Tyler Seguin and Rich Peverley. A little revenge for the former Bruins must have been sweet. The Stars also defeated the Detroit Red Wings this week. The Stars proved they can beat the “elite” in the east but what about the west. The Stars fell to western power the Chicago Blackhawks 5-2 on Saturday night.
17. Nashville Predators 8-6-2: The Predators have been bitten by the injury bug. The injury Pekka Renne is the most significant in the NHL. Carter Hutton has performed admirably with a 4-2-1 record and a 3.32 goals against. Seth Jones continues to have a good rookie season with 2 goals and 5 assists.
16. Washington Capitals 9-7-1: The Capitals are very good on the power play this season. The Capitals currently have the top ranked power play. That is no surprise with Alex Ovechkin ,Mikhail Grabovski, and Nicklas Backstrom on the team. The big surprise with the Caps is not only do they have top ranked power play but they have top ranked penalty kill. Specials teams are paying off for the Caps.
15. Ottawa Senators 7-6-4: The Senators have the luxury of welcoming Peter Horachek to the head coaching in the NHL. Craig Anderson is dealing with a neck injury but was available if needed this weekend. Kyle Turris is playing well this season, he has four goals and 14 assists on the season.
14. Minnesota Wild 10-4-4: Everyone assumed Niklas Backstrom would be the starting goalie this season, he signed a 3 year 10.25 million dollar contract this offseason. Josh Harding has TAKEN the starting job from him. Harding is 9-2-2 with a 1.22 goals against this season.
12. Boston Bruins: The Bruins suffered a crushing loss to the Stars earlier this week. Jarome Iginla is fitting nicely in Boston with 3 goals and 7 assists this season. Tuukka Rask is playing lights out this season 9-4-1 with a 1.63 goals against.
11. Los Angeles Kings 11-6-0: Despite the winning record, critics are raising concerns about Jonathan Quick’s play. Quick has been a mere mortal this season, he has a 90.1% save percentage and 2.48 goals against.