The Chicago Blackhawks next stop on the circus trip was the Edmonton Oilers. The Blackhawks came into the game riding a two game winning streak, while the Oilers were riding high on three game winning streak. The Oilers had beat down the Florida Panthers 4-1 in their last game. Tonight would be a different story for the Oilers. The Blackhawks would be too much for the Oilers.
Let’s get to the scoring break down:
1st period: Tonight scoring would be kicked off by the Captain of the Blackhawks, Jonathan Toews. Toews would be the benefit of a broken stick pass from Brandon Saad. Toews would go on breakaway and beat Devan Dubnyk with a nice move. Toews goal comes when the Blackhawks were short handed due to a Ben Smith tripping penalty. Special teams would come through again for the Blackhawks. Boyd Gordon would go to the penalty box for the Oilers. Patrick Kane would make the Oilers pay with a power play goal. The Blackhawks would end period one up 2-0.
2nd Period: After the intermission the Blackhawks would receive a gift goal from the Oilers as one of their defenseman put the puck in on Dubnyk. Johnny Oduya would be credited for the goal as he was the last Blackhawks player to touch the puck. With 15 minutes left in the second period, Jeremy Morin would make a nifty move and give Andrew Shaw a sweet pass for the easy tip in. After the Shaw goal, Dubnyk would be pulled for Ilya Bryzgalov. The Blackhawks would lead 4-0. The Oilers however would not be shutout tonight. Justin Schultz would put a slap shot past Corey Crawford. That would be the lone goal for the Oilers. At the end of two periods, the Blackhawks would lead 4-1.
3rd period: In the third period the Blackhawks would have the game in hand when Andrew Shaw welcomed Brzygalov back to the NHL. Shaw would record the Blackhawks fifth goal of the evening. The third period would end with no other scoring plays, although Shaw tried to do his best Robbie Gould for another goal. The “field” goal by Shaw would be waived off. The final score of the game would be 5-1 in favor of the Chicago Blackhawks. The Blackhawks are now 3-1 on the Circus trip.
- Ben Smith’s tripping penalty in the first period was his first NHL penalty.
- Michal Handzus returned to action tonight. It was his first game since October 24th.
- Tonight was Ilya Bryzgalov’s first NHL game this season. He began the year in the ECHL.
- Patrick Kane extended his point streak to 11 games in a row.
- Marian Hossa missed his second game in a row due to family issues. He will rejoin the team in Calgary.
- Duncan Keith now has 19 assists on the season which leads all defensemen in the NHL.
- Corey Crawford appeared in his 23rd game and recorded his 16th win. He leads the NHL in games appeared in and wins.
The Chicago Blackhawks will face off against the Calgary Flames on Wednesday. The game starts at 9:00pm central time. Please visit Blackhawkup.com for original Blackhawks articles and follow us on twitter @blackhawk_up