Fresh off their overtime loss to the New York Islanders, The Blackhawks continued on their two game east coast trip with a game against the New Jersey Devils. Last night the Blackhawks welcomed Corey Crawford back to the lineup. Tonight the Blackhawks started co-rookie of the month in December, Antti Raanta. Raanta was coming off his first NHL shutout. The Devils were coming in on a two game winning streak. In their first meeting of the season, the Blackhawks utterly dominated the Devils. The Devils were held to 12 shots in a 5-2 Blackhawks victory. Cory Schneider got the start against the Blackhawks the first time around. This time the Devils would have future hall of famer Martin Brodeur in net.
1st period: The first period was a rather boring period. The Blackhawks only mustered six shots while the Devils only had eight shots on net. The score after one was 0-0.
2nd period: In the 2nd period, The Devils and Blackhawks would get more offensive. The Blackhawks would get the scoring started with a goal from Patrick Sharp. Sharp snapped a quick shot past by Brodeur. The Blackhawks lead did not last long, the Devils answered back in under a minute. Andy Greene knotted the score at one. The second period would end tied at one.
3rd period: The third period was an offensive explosion. The Blackhawks got off to a great start, Patrick Kane put the puck on net and Brandon Saad rewarded the Blackhawks with a goal. The Blackhawks led 2-1. The Blackhawks increased their lead on the Devils with a goal by Patrick Sharp. Sharp made a great shot from a bad angle to put the Blackhawks up 3-1. Three minutes later, Marian Hossa went top self on Brodeur and increased the Blackhawks lead to 4-1. Despite the three goal lead the Devils would not quit. Marek Zidlicky score twice in third period to cut the lead to 4-3. The Devils were not able to complete the comeback because Patrick Sharp scored his 25th goal of the season and his third goal of the game. The “hat trick” goal from Sharp put the Blackhawks up for good. The Blackhawks defeated the Devils 5-3.
NEWS AND NOTES:
- Patrick Sharp becomes the first Blackhawks player to score multiple goals on Martin Brodeur.
- Patrick Kane was named 1st star for the month of December. He recorded his first point in three games.
- Duncan Keith had three assists tonight. Keith has 39 assists on the season.
- Antti Raanta improves to 11-1-3 on the season. Raanta was named Co-rookie of the month for December along with Martin Jones.
- Brandon Saad was moved to the second with Patrick Kane and Michal Handzus. Kris Versteeg was moved to the third line with Andrew Shaw and Bryan Bickell.
- Jonathan Toews was plus 4 on the night with two assists.
The Blackhawks next game is Sunday 1/5/13 at 6:00pm central time.
For all your Blackhawks news and original articles, please follow us on twitter @blackhawk_up. You can also like us on Face Book at Blackhawkup.