The Blackhawks have a few hours left to make a deal before the deadline and as anyone that has watched Stan Bowman work since taking over the Blackhawk organization this seems to be the day Bowman heads on a personal day to the mountains or the beach.
A quick look back at the trade deadline shows that the Hawks and Stan Bowman only look for small pieces and depth and never make a splash! Here is a quick look at the past 3 deadlines for the Blackhawks and the moves they made.
- 2011- The Hawks pick up Chris Campoli and a 7th from Ottawa for Ryan P0tulny and a 2nd round.
- 2012- The Hawks pick up Johnny Oduya from the Winnipeg Jets for 2nd and 3rd round pick
- 2012- The Hawks dump John Scott to the NY Rangers for a 5th round pick
- 2013- The Hawks pick up Michal Handzus from the San Jose Sharks for a 4th round pick
This type of track record suggests that Bowman is relaxing this morning while Blackhawks and NHL fans are sitting around thinking of trades and possibilities that will never come to pass this year or ever at the trade deadline.
That being said here are the names on everyone’s mind.
1. Ryan Kesler- The Hawks are $50,000 under the salary cap so this deal can’t possibly happen without a major move which if you look at the previous three years won’t happen. There are rumors of a possible 3 team trade, but of course this rumor never includes what the 3rd team would be. This morning all the talk is Pittsburgh and Anaheim or no trade being the top three options which sounds right
2. Nick Leddy- Leddy would be the piece that many teams would like with his youth and speed and makes $2.7 million but I can’t see Bowman pulling this trigger. Please don’t pull that trigger!
3. Johnny Oduya- Oduya makes over $3 million but seeing the Hawks trade a 2nd pairing defensive player with comrade Niklas Hjalmarsson doesn’t make sense in the middle of the season heading towards the playoffs.
4. Martin Brodeur- STOP IT! We don’t want him!!
5. 2nd line center Wild card- This has been a need since forever maybe David Legwand but he like Kesler makes a lot of cash. If the Hawks don’t make a move their #2 center of the future was the Finnish League player of the month for the second consecutive month and his name is very familiar Teravainen and the term possibility he plays here in April was spoken by Stan.
6. Bryan Bickell- The dollars make sense that he’s in rumors, but the problem is as frustrating as Bickell can be at times there aren’t any players in the Blackhawks pipeline that fit his size and potential skill set. Bickell is just getting healthy at the right time so no reason to give up on him now!
What do you think? Should you be checking your computer or phone all day for updates or will history repeat itself and the day will pass without much happening? I will always lean towards nothing happening until Bowman changes his pattern!
IN STAN WE TRUST!!