May 28, 2013; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Los Angeles Kings goalieJonathan Quick
(32) lost his helmet in the second period of game seven of the second round of the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs against the San Jose Sharks at the Staples Center. Mandatory Credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports
Yes! The Hawks are in their third Western Conference Championship Final in Five season and they will be facing the Los Angeles Kings, here is five quick thoughts about the Kings.
1. They Are Still The Champs- There is something about being the champ until someone knocks you off the pedestal. The St Louis Blues and San Jose Sharks took their shots but the Kings are still the champs and it’s up to the Blackhawks to dethrone the Kings.
2. Darryl Sutter has Blackhawks in his blood- The coach of the Kings was the Hawks Captain so look for Pierre to mention that a million times during the telecasts. Sutter preaches defense and physical style which this team can deliver. They punished the Blues and the Sharks series was highly physical also. The Hawks will have to keep their heads on a swivel on each and every play.
3. Jonathan Quick is Jimmy Howard but better! The Hawks had a tough time figuring out Howard and look for more of the same against Quick. During the regular season in three games the Hawks got 12 goals past the defending Conn Smythe Winner but just like the Red Wings, you can throw out those regular season records at the door!
4. Do not lose home ice advantage- The Kings still haven’t lost at the Staples Center this playoff season and needed clutch Game #5 and #7 home wins against the Sharks to advance to the Western Conference Finals. The Hawks cannot afford a Game #1 or #2 sleeper like they did in Game #2 against the Red Wings. Each level the competition gets tougher so now that the Hawks have visited desperation let’s not visit that address again.
5. Things are tougher this Year. Last season was a waltz for the Kings as they seemingly shocked everyone in their path to the Stanley Cup. They were up 3-0 in all four series before hoisting their first Stanley Cup in team history. They have shown the heart of a champion without the easy road of 2012. This has been the Hawks special season so they need to make it as humanly hard as possible for the Kings to advance to back-to-back Cup Finals.
What is your quick thought about the Kings?
For more Blackhawks updates and conversation follow us on Twitter @Blackhawk_Up or Like our new Facebook page at Blackhawkup.