Mar 29, 2013; Buffalo, NY, USA; Buffalo Sabres left wingVille Leino
(23) celebrates his second goal against the Washington Capitals with right wingDrew Stafford
(21) during the second period at the First Niagara Center. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Hoffman-USA TODAY Sports
The Blackhawks next opponent is the Buffalo Sabres. The Sabres come to town tonight with 0-4-1 record. Everyone in the hockey world knew the Sabres would be awful. However, any team can win on any given night. Here are three Sabres to watch for tonight:
1. Villie Leino: Remember Villie Leino the young star of the Philadelphia Flyers in 2010. Leino scored 19 goals and 34 assists with the Flyers that season. He then came to Buffalo where his production has suffered. In 2011 he had only 8 goals 17 assists in 71 games. Leino was injured last season, he only played in 7 games. Leino lack of production can be attributed to the Sabres lack of talent on the roster. The Sabres need some production from Leino tonight to have a chance.
2. Thomas Vanek: Vanek has been one of the Sabres top scorers since 2006. Vanek in 2011 had 26 goals and 35 assists. Last season, Vanek scored 20 goals and had 21 assists in 37 games. Vanek is the only consistent offensive star the Sabres have on the roster. This could be the last season for Vanek. He is a free agent this offseason.
3. Cody Hodgson: Hodgson was the third leading scorer last season for the Sabres. Hodgson had 15 goals and 19 assists in 2012-13. If the Sabres want to get closer to respectable this season, they need more production from Hodgson.
The Sabres need production from Leino, Vanek, and Hodgson to defeat the Blackhawks tonight.
What Sabres will you be watching for tonight?
For Blackhawks game updates and conversation follow us on Twitter @Blackhawk_Up or on our Facebook page at Blackhawkup.