Oct 12, 2013; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Blackhawks right wingPatrick Kane
(88) celebrates his goal against the Buffalo Sabres during the second period at the United Center. Mandatory Credit: David Banks-USA TODAY Sports
The Blackhawks finished this past week with a record of 2-1 with all three contests one goal affairs. Here are five thoughts from this past week.
5. The Blackhawks showed the heart of a champion Friday night by being able to come back and win a game after the tough loss to the St. Louis Blues Wednesday night. Neither win this weekend was easy or full of a ton of goals, but after giving up a last second loss the wins were needed and showed a lot of character.
4. Speaking of easy, just like in 2011 nothing is easy even Saturday against a offensively lifeless Buffalo Sabres team, the outcome wasn’t decided until the final horn. Every team early into the season is giving the Hawks their best shot so better be prepared each and every time out on to the ice for a Grade A effort from the opposition.
3. Every point is crucial! Even though we came back after the Blues loss not picking up at least a road point could be crushing at the end of the season. The Seabrook pinch would have been a huge deal except for the fact it was the third game of the season.
2. Patrick Sharp is about to have a huge breakout. Sharp is playing too good while getting too many shots on goal without having one find the back of the net and start a hot streak for #10. Sharp is motivated after a below average regular season in 2013 and wanting to make the Olympic team. It’s coming, hopefully it starts on Tuesday night!
1. Dear Q, enough is enough please get Brandon Pirri out of your dog house and put him with Sharp and Marian Hossa. With Kruger playing all the penalty minutes it only makes sense to put him on the bottom line and give Pirri the shot to be the Hawks 2nd line center. The second line needs a spark going without a goal all last week.
5- After a season with only Dave Bolland with a negative rating, 5 games into the season and the Blackhawks have 5 players with a negative rating including the Captain which never happens so this number will be changing soon.
4- The number of one goal games the Blackhawks have played in 5 games to start the season. The Hawks are 2-1-1 in 1 goal games so a little breathing room would be appreciated!
4- Patrick Kane leads the team in goals scored and has great chances every game. If Kane stays focused all year-long this could be a career year!
.910- We looked last week at Crawfords Save Percentage and he improved it dramatically in a week. At least he isn’t Ryan Miller with a .938 save percentage with a single win in the win column.
5:07- The amount of ice time the Hawks have trailed so far this season. Pretty impressive!
What is your Thought or Number of the Week?
For more Blackhawks conversation and updates follow us on Twitter @Blackhawk_Up or Like our Facebook page at Blackhawkup