This past week there was a flurry of moves in the NHL: Steven Stamkos of the Tampa Bay Lighting broke his Tibia. The Buffalo Sabres fired general manager Darcy Reiger and rookie Coach Ron Rolston on Wednesday and hired Pat Lafontaine as their president of hockey operations, and interim coach Ted Nolan. And the Chicago Blackhawks reacquired Kris Versteeg from the Florida Panthers. The Ducks and Coyotes are up, while the Rangers and Bruins are down this week.
Now onto the rankings:
Oct 28, 2013; Buffalo, NY, USA; Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller (30) makes a save before the game against the Dallas Stars at First Niagara Center. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Hoffman-USA TODAY Sports
30. Edmonton Oilers 4-15-2: The Oilers have lost four in a row. In their last ten games the Oilers are 1-9-1. In their last six home starts they have been outscored 23-3 for six home losses. This isn’t a revelation, but Edmonton is awful.
29: The Buffalo Sabres: 5-15-1, The Sabres decided it was time for a change. They fired GM Darcy Reiger and Ron Ralston this week. Fans in Buffalo are finally starting to smile. Now they need to deal Ryan Miller.
28. Florida Panthers 4-12-4: Dale Talon traded Kris Versteeg to the Chicago Blackhawks for Dylan Olsen and Jimmy Hayes. Talon loves trading for guys he drafted. He also traded Michael Frolik for Jack Skille. Hopefully this deal turns out better for them.
27: Calgary Flames: 6-10-3: The Flames have lost five in a row. Earlier this week, they were routed by Dallas 7-3 by the Dallas Stars. Reto Berra is struggling in his first NHL season. He gave up 4 goals on 17 shots.
26. Columbus Blue Jackets 6-10-3: The Blue Jackets have lost four out their last five games. Marian Gaborik will be out four to six weeks with a left knee sprain. This signals the end of the Blue Jackets season.
25. The Philadelphia Flyers 7-10-2: On Rivalry night this week, the Flyers squared off against the Penguins. Ray Emery played his best game this season allowing one goal on 31 shots. In my mind this is the lone highlight in a bad season.
24. New Jersey Devils 6-8-5: The Devils have won two out of their last three. Cory Schneider is only allowing 1.98 goals against but his record doesn’t reflect that. On the season Schneider record is 1-5-3 on the season. Big reason for Schneider record is the Devils offense ranks 28th this season.
23. Nashville Predators 8-9-2: The Predators had six game road trip this past week; they started off right winning two in a row. They proceeded to lose four in a row. David Legwand has 4 goals and 11 assists on the season.
22. New York Islanders 7-10-3: The Islanders are 3-7-0 in their last ten games. Evgeni Nabokov injured his groin earlier this week. Kevin Poulin who has been getting the majority of the starts lately will be able to put a stranglehold on the goalie position.
21. NY Rangers: 9-9-0, The Rangers are 7-3 in their last ten games. Michael Del Zotto was supposed to excel in Coach Vigneault’s system. Instead he has seen his minutes decrease and now is healthy scratch. This does not bode well for this former first round pick.
20. Carolina Hurricanes 8-7-4: With Cam Ward being hurt, the Hurricanes had to turn too Justin Peters. Peters started off slow but now is coming off two wins in a row. Peters needs to continue to play well for the Hurricanes to weather the loss of Ward.