Dec 30, 2013; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Blackhawks center Jonathan Toews (19) congratulates goalie Antti Raanta (31) for getting his first career shutout after the third period against the Los Angeles Kings at the United Center. Chicago won 1-0. Mandatory Credit: Dennis Wierzbicki-USA TODAY Sports
A Blackhawks Fan News Year’s Resolution:
It is the time of year where people make New Year’s resolutions. People usually make resolutions such as: lose 10lbs, find a serious romantic partner, or travel to a foreign country. As a Blackhawks fan I would like to make a few resolutions of my own.
New Year’s Resolution:
1. Have faith in Michal Handzus’ role on the second line: I am not a huge fan of Michal Handzus as the second line center. I have made that abundantly clear this past year. My resolution is to trust that Joel Quenneville and his coaching staff know how to use him effectively. They did acquire Handzus and put him in the correct role last season. I’m going to have faith they do it again.
2. Increase my hatred of the Dallas Stars: The Dallas Stars have been a blip on the Blackhawks radar in previous years. In their first four meetings this season, a legitimate hatred between the teams have been brewing. Every game has been relatively competitive. The Stars also have given us a new player to hate Antoine Roussel.
3. Attend a Blackhawks game at the United Center: It has not been since 2010-2011 that I have attended a Blackhawks game at the United Center. In 2011-12, I saw the Blackhawks play the Minnesota Wild at the Excel Energy Center in St. Paul. I was booed and had popcorn thrown at me. I currently have tickets to the Coors Light Stadium Series game at Soldier Field against the Penguins, but I want to hear the dagger in the United Center at least once this season.
4. Continue to tell everyone that will listen than Kane can win the hart trophy: I have made reference to it in the weekly power rankings. People have scoffed at it. This is not me being a homer. Patrick Kane DOES have a legitimate chance to win the Hart trophy this year. Most people dismiss the idea because in years past, he has not been a decent defensive player and didn’t score enough. Patrick Kane stat line for this season is: 23 goals, 30 assists, for 53 points. He is a +11 on the season. His numbers can do the talking.
5. Believe the Blackhawks can repeat: I had my doubts when the season started because of several reasons. The schedule, hangover, and the history that nobody has repeated since the Red Wings 1996-1997 and 1997-98. The Blackhawks have thus far answered all of those questions this season. They are currently tied for the highest point total in the NHL. If they would just beat St. Louis I would feel better.
I would lastly like thank everyone who reads all our articles and follows us on twitter and FaceBook. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
For all your Blackhawks news please visit us at Blackhawkup.com and follow us on twitter at Blackhawk_up or like us on Facebook.