Jan 3, 2014; Calgary, Alberta, CAN; Tampa Bay Lightning goalieBen Bishop
(30) makes a save against the Calgary Flames during the third period at Scotiabank Saddledome. Tampa Bay Lightning won 2-0. Mandatory Credit: Sergei Belski-USA TODAY Sports
10. Montreal Candiens 26-15-5: The Habs are 5-3-2 in their last ten games. The Habs are riding high after their OT win against the defending Stanley Cup Champs. The Habs held the Blackhawks to only twenty shots and one goal. Carey Price continued his solid season making 19 saves.
9. Tampa Bay Lightning 27-14-4: Another Olympic team selection, another Olympic snub, this week Martin St.Louis was left off Team Canada’s roster. Last week it was goalie Ben Bishop. Injured forward Steven Stamkos was selected to Team Canada. Stamkos has been on IR since 11/12/13. St. Louis has 42 points on the season.
8. Los Angeles Kings 27-14-5: The great Barry Melrose says that Kings might be the best team in the West when the season ends. The Kings sent Martin Jones back to the AHL. Jones was 8-3-1 with a 1.41 goals against average. Jonathan Quick has been 2-2 in his four starts since returning for injury.
7. Boston Bruins 29-14-2: The Bruins are the second best team in the East. They are 6-4-0 in their last ten games. Against the elite in the Western Conference( Sharks, Ducks, Canucks, Blues) the Bruins are 5-3 on the season. Patrice Bergeron is a mid season candidate for the Selke Trophy.
6. Colorado Avalanche 28-12-5: The Avs are 5-3-2 in their last ten games. Nathan MacKinnon is on FIRE, he has SEVEN Goals and SEVEN games. The Avs are scary because they don’t know how good they can be. Patrick Roy has to be a coach of the year in the NHL.