Mar 14, 2014; Washington, DC, USA; Vancouver Canucks left wingChris Higgins
(20) deflects the puck in front of Washington Capitals goalieJaroslav Halak
(41) in the first period at Verizon Center. Mandatory Credit: Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports
20. Phoenix Coyotes 31-25-11: Martin Erat was supposed to provide a jolt for the Coyotes down the stretch. Erat has 1 goal in 4 games with the Coyotes. The Coyotes are ninth the West and trail Dallas by 2 points. The Coyotes do have very winnable games coming up, they play the woeful Flames and Panthers coming up this week.
19. Winnipeg Jets 30-29-9: Last week I crushed the Jets for not making a move at the deadline. I thought they really need a goal tender. On Saturday it was announced that Ondrej Pavelec will miss the next two games with an injury. This could be a huge loss considering they are 6 points out of the playoffs with 14 games to play.
18. Washington Capitals 31-27-10: The Capitals were suffering from poor goalie play and bad defense this season. The Capitals tried to solve their goal tending woes by trading for Jaroslav Halak. Halak has gone 2-2 with a 2.53 goals against average and a .922 save percentage. Halak’s numbers are better than Braden Holtby . Holtby is 19-14 with a 2.98 goals against and a .911 save percentage. They trail Montreal by 7 points with 14 to play.
17. Detroit Red wings 30-23-13: The Wings are fighting for their playoff lives. They currently trail Montreal by 6 points in the East. They have 16 games remaining, 8 at home and 8 away. Recently added David Legwand has 1 goal and 3 assists in 5 games with the Wings.
16. Columbus Blue Jackets 35-26-6: The Blue Jackets seem to heating up at the right time. They have won two out of their last three games. Espn Pierre LeBrun stated they are a team you do not want to face because they grind you down. If you actually get to shoot on net, they have the reigning Vezina trophy winner Sergei Bobrovsky.