Apr 11, 2014; Calgary, Alberta, CAN; Calgary Flames defenseman Kris Russell (4) celebrates his goal with teammates against the Winnipeg Jets during the second period at Scotiabank Saddledome. Mandatory Credit: Sergei Belski-USA TODAY Sports
25. Calgary Flames 35-39-7: Johnny Gaudreau was named the Hobey Baker Memorial Award on Friday April 11, 2014. This was a no brainer choice, the fourth round Flames draft pick in 2011 compiled 36 goals and 44 assists in 40 games this season. He was the first college player since Colorado College’s Peter Sejna posted 82 points in 2002-2003. Gaudreau Golden Eagles lost to Mount Union on Friday. He will appear in the Flames final regular season game against the Canucks on Sunday.
24. Carolina Hurricanes 35-35-11: The Hurricane will not make the playoffs this season. The reason was simple, they were not good enough. Their best players, Jordan Staal and Eric Staal were hurt and not solid. Cam Ward had his worst season and Anton Khudobin was hurt for a long stretch. The Canes are getting a new General Manager this offseason. Will the new GM trade veterans for younger players and start the rebuild?
23. Winnipeg Jets 37-35-10: In a season where the Jets will fail to make the playoffs, Blake Wheeler has really stood for the Jets. Wheeler set career best in goals 28 and points at 69. That is the positive for the Jets. The negatives are Evander Kane and Ondrej Pavelec. Both Kane and Pavelec underperformed this season. Kane is not a media favorite and might need a change of scenery. Pavelec struggled in the net this season, he had the lowest save percentage of any goalie that played 100 games. The Jets have an a make or break offseason.
22. Nashville Predators 37-32-12: The Predators have some tough choices this offseason. They are an aging team. They already parted ways with David Legawand this season, could they go into full rebuild mode and trade Shea Webber? Could they fire Barry Trotz?
21. Toronto Maple Leafs 38-36-8: The Maple Leafs had another collapse this season and it could lead to WHOLESALE changes in the offseason. First thing, James Reimer cannot be on this time next year. Everyone has a lost faith in him and he needs to go. Dave Bolland will be gone because he never played. Their Coach Randy Carlyle needs to be fired and maybe even the General Manager. EXPECT CHANGES in TORNOTO!