Jan 19, 2014; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Blackhawks goalieCorey Crawford
(50) watches Boston Bruins defensemanZdeno Chara
(33) moves the puck during overtime at the United Center. The Blackhawks beat the Bruins 3-2 in the shootout. Mandatory Credit: Rob Grabowski-USA TODAY Sports
The Chicago Blackhawks have a respected rivalry with each Original Six team just because they are a part of the club, but their rivalry with the Boston Bruins has revved up a few notches since the 2013 playoffs. When the Blackhawks beat the Bruins in the last two minutes of Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final, the teams decided they would have a lot to say to each other in their next couple of meetings. In two contests last season, the Blackhawks took the first game 3-2 in a shootout in Chicago while the Bruins won the second contest 3-0 in Boston.
More from Blackhawks News
- Blackhawks vs Flames: Date, Time, Lineup, Betting Odds, More
- Three Takeaways from the Blackhawks’ Win vs Vancouver
- Blackhawks: Why Derek King is the Right Coach moving forward
- Marc-Andre Fleury Carries the Blackhawks to a 4-2 Win vs Seattle
- Instant Reaction: Blackhawks top Kraken for first time in history
The Bruins haven’t made many changes from last season’s team and are staying with the Blackhawks strategy of playing better with only minor adjustments. Right wing Jerome Iginla left Boston for the promising Colorado Avalanche, and left wing Shawn Thornton signed with the Florida Panthers. So far, their replacements look like they’ll come in the form of line juggling and upcoming prospects. Another change is the addition of Joe Sacco as an assistant coach to the team. He will join Claude Julien in his 8th season with the Bruins.
The outcome of the Blackhawks’ 2 games against the Bruins next season is anyone’s guess, but the rivalry and tension will still be there. Neither team has changed dramatically over the offseason, and both still have something to prove to the other. They’ll meet on December 11 in Boston and February 22 in Chicago.
Which team do you think will take the season series between the Blackhawks and Bruins?