May 28, 2014; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Blackhawks centerMichal Handzus
(26) celebrates after scoring the game-winning goal against the Los Angeles Kings during the second overtime in game five of the Western Conference Final of the 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs at United Center. Mandatory Credit: David Banks-USA TODAY Sports
We had so much fun doing our Countdown to Faceoff series last season that we decided to do it again. The calendar has turned into September ,we look at jersey numbers from past and present as we count down the days until October 9th and opening night against the Dallas Stars.
You have to like the fact that the countdown to opening night is 26 and brings us to a player that I had a huge love/hate relationship with for his 1.25 seasons he spent with the Blackhawks. I really hated most of the Handzus era especailly what little he brought to the team last season, but there he was in the right place at the right time scoring the overtime winner in Game #5 of the Western Conference Finals.
Handzus didn’t do much in 2013 shortened season or in the playoffs except score the tide turning goal in Detroit in Game #6 when for some reason the Red Wings left him all alone in front ofJimmy Howard
Handzus expression when he was holding the Cup after the Game #6 win in Boston is one of the best pictures of last summer.
Jun 24, 2013; Boston, MA, USA; Chicago Blackhawks center Michal Handzus celebrates in the locker room with the Stanley Cup after game six of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final against the Boston Bruins at TD Garden. The Blackhawks won 3-2 to win the series four games to two. Mandatory Credit: David Sandford/Pool Photo via USA TODAY Sports
Handzus was told after the season he wouldn’t be asked to be back and it was the right call because his skill set had diminished especially the speed to keep up with all the Blackhawks young fast stars.
More from All Time Blackhawks
- Blackhawks’ Legend Niklas Hjalmarsson Retires After 14 Seasons
- Blackhawks: The five longest tenured captains in team history
- Blackhawks News: Andrew Shaw Retires At Age 29
- Best Blackhawks Goalie of All-Time: Esposito, Hall, or Crawford?
- The Jersey Numbers Never Worn in Blackhawks History
How will you remember Handzus?
For more Blackhawks updates and conversation follow us on Twitter @Blackhawk_Up or Like our Facebook page at Blackhawkup