Apr 6, 2014; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Blackhawks centerPeter Regin
(12) has his skate caught in the glove of St. Louis Blues goalieBrian Elliott
(1) during the first period at the United Center. Mandatory Credit: Dennis Wierzbicki-USA TODAY Sports
We had so much fun doing our Countdown to Faceoff series last season that we decided to do it again. The calendar has turned into September ,we look at jersey numbers from past and present as we count down the days until October 9th and opening night against the Dallas Stars.
We have arrived at #12 with less than 2 weeks left until the Blackhawks season opener. Peter Regin is the current Blackhawk wearing #12 after getting traded to the Hawks at the trade deadline, he seemed to earn some playoff playing time but only appeared in 5 games last spring. Regin took a discounted contract and looks to prove he deserves a roster spot this training camp. Regin seems like a nice piece to have in a pinch but this will more than likely be his last year in Chicago if he sticks.
1. Gus Bodner-1948-1954 Bodner played in 398 games for Chicago picking up 87 goals and 142 assists.
2. Ed Litzenberger-1954-1961 Litzenberger was the Captain of the 1961 Stanley Cup Champs and was promptly traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Litzenberger played in 438 games with the Hawks scoring 145 goals and 199 assists.
3. Gerry Melnyk-1961-1963 Melnyk played in 63 games scoring 5 goals and 16 assists before leaving for the St. Louis Blues.
4. Aut Erickson-1964 Erickson played in 34 games picking up one assist before heading to the Oakland Seals.
5. Pat Stapleton 1966-1973 Stapleton appeared in 545 games for Chicago scoring 41 goals and 286 assists. Stapleton was a 4 time all-star with the Blackhawks.
6. Ivan Boldirev-1974-1979 Boldirev played in 384 games with Chicago scoring 140 games and 195 assists before being traded for the next #12 Tom Lysiak
7. Tom Lysiak-1979-1986 Lysiak’s claim to shame was tripping a ref and getting one of the longest suspensions in NHL history. Lysiak played in 475 games wearing #12 scoring 137 goals and 275 assists during his 8 year stay with the Hawks
8. Duane Sutter-1988-1990 Sutter scored 18 goals and 32 assists in 174 games with the Hawks
9. Paul Gillis-1991 Gillis made a 2 game pit stop during a 628 game career without picking up a point.
10. Brent Sutter-1992-1997 Sutter came to Chicago for Steve Thomas and Adam Creighton, Sutter played in 417 games scoring 76 goals and 143 assists, Sutter was on the 92 Stanley Cup Final team that lost to the Penguins in the Finals.
11. Derek Plante-2000 Plante appeared in 17 games for Chicago scoring 1 goal and 1 assist in short stay.
More from All Time Blackhawks
- Blackhawks’ Legend Niklas Hjalmarsson Retires After 14 Seasons
- Blackhawks: The five longest tenured captains in team history
- Blackhawks News: Andrew Shaw Retires At Age 29
- Best Blackhawks Goalie of All-Time: Esposito, Hall, or Crawford?
- The Jersey Numbers Never Worn in Blackhawks History
12. Tom Fitzgerald-2002 Fitzgerald played in almost 1,100 games in the NHL but his stop in Chicago was only 15 games in which he scored 1 goal and 3 assists.
13. Scott Nichol-2003 Nichol played in 75 games scoring 7 goals and 11 assists.
Who’s your favorite #12?
For more Blackhawks updates and conversation follow us on Twitter @Blackhawk_Up or Like our Facebook page at Blackhawkup