May 21, 2014; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Blackhawks defensemanNick Leddy
(8) scores a goal past Los Angeles Kings goalieJonathan Quick
(32) during the first period in game two of the Western Conference Final of the 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs at United Center. Mandatory Credit: Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports
We had so much fun doing our Countdown to Faceoff series last season that we decided to do it again. The calendar has turned into September ,we look at jersey numbers from past and present as we count down the days until October 9th and opening night against the Dallas Stars.
Only 8 short days until the Blackhawks kick off the 2014-2015 season and we land on a player that may or may not be a Blackhawks when the season starts. Leddy of course has been in the center of the Blackhawks trade rumors to clear salary cap space. Leddy had the unfortunate bounce off of him in Game #7 but he’s still a very young, very skilled offensive defenseman and you would have to think that Stan is trying to figure out a way to start the season with Leddy on the roster instead of trading him to another team.
There have been quite a few #8’s so here’s a quick look at some of the former 8’s in Blackhawks history.
1. Bill Mosienko-1941-1955 Mosienko played in 711 career game in the NHL and all of them were with the Blackhawks. He scored 258 goals and 282 assists. Mosienko made NHL history when he scored 3 goals in 21 seconds.
2. Ed Kachur-1957-1958 Kachur appeared in 96 games picking up 10 goals and 14 assists.
3. Wayne Hicks-1960-1 game no points before heading to the Boston Bruins
4. Murray Balfour-1960-1964 Balfour played in 284 games during his Blackhawks career scoring 66 goals and 87 assists. During the Blackhawks 1961 Stanley Cup run Balfour scored 5 goals and 5 assists.
5. Jim Pappin-1969-1975 Pappin played 7 seasons for Chicago skating in 488 games scoring 216 goals and 228 assists before getting traded to the California Seals.
6. Jim Harrison-1977-1979 Harrison appeared in 107 games scoring 24 goals and 36 assists.
7. Terry Ruskowski-1979-1983 Ruskowski played in 211 games scoring 30 goals and 138 assists before getting traded to the Los Angeles Kings.
9. Trent Yawney-1988-1991 Yawney played in 280 games in Chicago scoring 16 times with 55 assists.
11. Steve Poapst-2000-2004 Poapst played in 223 games scoring 7 goals and 23 assists.
12. Tony Salmelainen-2007 Salmelainen scored 6 goals and 11 assists during his one year career with the Blackhawks.
13. Matt Walker-2008 Walker played one year with the Hawks scoring 1 goal and 13 assists.
More from All Time Blackhawks
- Blackhawks’ Legend Niklas Hjalmarsson Retires After 14 Seasons
- Blackhawks: The five longest tenured captains in team history
- Blackhawks News: Andrew Shaw Retires At Age 29
- Best Blackhawks Goalie of All-Time: Esposito, Hall, or Crawford?
- The Jersey Numbers Never Worn in Blackhawks History
14. Kim Johnsson-2010 Johnsson finished off his 739 NHL game career with his final 8 games with the Hawks. He scored 1 goal and 2 assists in 2010.
Who’s your favorite 8 in Blackhawks history? October is Finally Here!!
For more Blackhawks updates and conversation follow us on Twitter @Blackhawk_Up or Like our Facebook page at Blackhawkup