Jan. 28, 2013; Glendale, AZ, USA; Phoenix Coyotes defensemanDavid Rundblad
(2) shoots the puck during the first period against the Nashville Predators at Jobing.com Arena. Mandatory Credit: Matt Kartozian-USA TODAY Sports
We had so much fun doing our Countdown to Faceoff series last season that we decided to do it again. The calendar has turned into September ,we look at jersey numbers from past and present as we count down the days until October 9th and opening night against the Dallas Stars.
Who is David Rundblad? I was doing a radio interview for a Minnesota station during the playoffs and they asked me who wore #5 and I was stumped! That’s right David Rundblad wears #5, Stan Bowman traded a 2nd round pick for him and nobody really knows who or what he brings outside of a couple preseason games. The Blackhawks are to believed to be in a market for trading a defenseman which would make one think Rundblad is in the running for #6 spot but who knows.. Rundblad is a mystery.
Here is the list of #5’s in Blackhawks history.
1. Al Dewsbury-1952-1955 Dewsbury played in 323 games for the Blackhawks scoring 26 goals and picking up 75 assists.
2. Jack Evans-1959-1963 Evans appeared in 345 games scoring 4 times with 42 assists and 319 penalty minutes. During the 1961 Stanley Cup run he scored once and had one assist.
3. Matt Ravlich-1964-1969 Ravlich wore the #5 245 times scoring 5 times and collecting 47 assists. He played in 410 NHL games throughout his career.
4. Geoff Powis-1969- 2 game NHL career without a point for Powis.
5. Ray McKay-1969-1970 McKay appeared in 28 games picking up 1 assist.
6. Phil Russell 1972-1979 Russell played in over 500 games for the Blackhawks, During his Hawks tenure he scored 53 times with 176 assists.
7. Dave Hutchison-1980-1982 Hutchison played in 163 games scoring 7 times and picking up 32 assists.
8. Jack O’Callahan-1982-1986 This #5 played in 303 games scoring 15 goals and 64 assists.
9. Steve Konroyd-1988-1992 During Konroyd’s 4 seasons with Chicago he scored 10 goals and 47 assists. He played for 15 seasons in the NHL appearing in 895 games.
More from All Time Blackhawks
- Blackhawks’ Legend Niklas Hjalmarsson Retires After 14 Seasons
- Blackhawks: The five longest tenured captains in team history
- Blackhawks News: Andrew Shaw Retires At Age 29
- Best Blackhawks Goalie of All-Time: Esposito, Hall, or Crawford?
- The Jersey Numbers Never Worn in Blackhawks History
10. Steve Smith-1992-1997 After winning 3 Stanley Cups with the Edmonton Oilers, Smith played in 347 games with Chicago scoring 25 times with 111 assists.
11. Steve McCarthy-2000-2004 McCarthy wore the Blackhawks jersey 134 times picking up 3 goals and 13 assists during his four partial seasons with the Hawks.
12. Jassen Cullimore-2005-2007,2011 Cullimore played in 155 games during two different stints with the Hawks scoring twice with 20 assists.
13. Brent Sopel 2008-2010 Sopel played in 154 games with the Hawks scoring 3 times with 27 assists. Sopel did play in 22 games during the Stanley Cup run scoring once with 5 assists.
14. Steve Montador-2012 Montador played in 52 games before concussions got the best of him. He scored 5 goals and 9 assists in his Blackhawk career.
Only 5 days away from opening night! For more Blackhawks updates and conversation follow us on Twitter @Blackhawk_Up or Like our Facebook page at Blackhawkup