Jan 11, 2015; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Blackhawks center Jonathan Toews (19) and right wing Patrick Kane (88) take a break in a timeout during the first period at the United Center. Mandatory Credit: David Banks-USA TODAY Sports
The NHL All-Star fantasy draft took place on Friday to set the lineups for the 2015 All-Star Game and here is a few things we learned about the players and the telecast.
– Jonathan Toews one of the two All-star Captains stated before the draft started that he prepped for the fantasy draft for about 20 minutes which is about 19 more minutes than I would have expected.
– Toews was a lot more looser and tried his hand at quite a bit more comedy than one would think that his Captain Serious persona would give off but it was great to watch.
– Patrick Kane is naturally funny but it was his alternate Captain Drew Doughty that was stealing the show with cracks at Steven Stamkos and Tyler Seguin for their shoes.
– Toews picked Phil Kessel with his first pick which ruined the fun for most hockey fans who wanted to watch him suffer in the dressing room while being in the running for a free car. He also was one of the odds on pre-draft betting favorites to win the last man standing.
– Roberto Luongo is one of Hawks fans favorite players to cheer against in past seasons when he was with the Vancouver Canucks, but he’s really entertaining and one of the best follows on Twitter.
– Corey Crawford was the first goalie selected, but NBCSN wisely didn’t put him in front of a hot mic on national TV especially when it appeared there were drinks in the waiting room of the players getting drafted.
– It really appeared to be like a fantasy draft at Buffalo Wild Wings without waiting for someone on the phone to make a pick but it was a bit annoying that the 6 guys drafting couldn’t here the MC’s when they were asking them questions that could have been interesting to hear their answers.
– Alex Ovechkin seems like a fun guy especially after the Epix episodes yet though he was trying to get the free car he was the last player selected before the free cars were handed out.
More from Blackhawks News
- Blackhawks vs Flames: Date, Time, Lineup, Betting Odds, More
- Three Takeaways from the Blackhawks’ Win vs Vancouver
- Blackhawks: Why Derek King is the Right Coach moving forward
- Marc-Andre Fleury Carries the Blackhawks to a 4-2 Win vs Seattle
- Instant Reaction: Blackhawks top Kraken for first time in history
-But really these guys make a ton of money, the lure of free car is a bit strange.
– To see how the teams shake out here is a link to Team Toews and Team Foligno for Sunday night’s All-star game that will be played on Sunday night.
-The NHL Skills competition is tomorrow night which is great fun.
What is your thoughts on Toews and Kane’s picks tonight?
For more Blackhawks updates and conversation follow us on Twitter @Blackhawk_Up or Like our Facebook page at Blackhawkup