Yes, there are actually five of these. The Chicago Blackhawks are infamous for bad trades for several years, and it was chronicled recently right here. However, the “dark ages” of Blackhawks are long gone, and so with it are the hilariously bad trades.
Let’s take a look at some of the best trades that the Hawks have made in recent history.
Not a mind-blowingly shrewd trade, but the Hawks clearly got the best of the Panthers in this one. The Hawks had high hopes for Jack Skille, but he never really established himself into the Hawks lineup and was basically stuck alternating between the AHL and the NHL, when he was with the Hawks’ organization.
Michael Frolik was a back-to-back 20 goal scorer in his first two season in the NHL, with Florida. Fifty-two games into the 2010-2011 season, Frolik only had 8 goals, and Former Hawks GM/current Panthers GM, Dale Tallon gave up on Frolik to bring in Skille, who he drafted when he was GM of the Hawks.
Frolik would never regain his offensive touch while in a Hawks’ uniform. However, there’s a good reason for that. Coach Q put Frolik on the 4th line and on the Penalty Kill as well. Frolik would go on to be a vital checking forward and Penalty Killer for the eventual 2013 Stanley Cup Champion Hawks.
Sadly, Frolik would wind up being a cap casualty and has had two solid seasons with the Winnipeg Jets.
More from All Time Blackhawks
- Blackhawks’ Legend Niklas Hjalmarsson Retires After 14 Seasons
- Blackhawks: The five longest tenured captains in team history
- Blackhawks News: Andrew Shaw Retires At Age 29
- Best Blackhawks Goalie of All-Time: Esposito, Hall, or Crawford?
- The Jersey Numbers Never Worn in Blackhawks History
Skille has yet to top 8 goals in a season and is now a fringe member of the Columbus Blue Jackets. David Pacan has never played an NHL game and Alexander Salak never reached the NHL again(he played 2 games for Florida in (’09-’10).
Basically, this trade wound up being Skille for Frolik and that is one hell of a trade for the Hawks.
Next: What Trade Is #4?
More from Blackhawk Up
- Blackhawks: Grading Connor Murphy and a position comparison
- Blackhawks: Shuffling the lines to try and spark offense at 5 on 5
- These Lineup Changes could Solve the Blackhawks’ Scoring Problem
- Blackhawks: List Of Things To Be Thankful For This Thanksgiving
- The perfect holiday gifts for the Chicago Blackhawks fan