Mandatory Credit: Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports
Is The Wait Over For Mark McNeill?
Best Case Scenario: Almost. He plays a minor role, but still gets to develop his game.
McNeill has shown the most promise of any Blackhawks’ prospect in the past two years, but he remained with the Rockford IceHogs again last season, as the Blackhawks went on to win the Stanley Cup with an experienced roster. Next season, McNeill certainly has a shot to make the team out of training camp, but competition will be tight. Expect to see him get some looks throughout the season, and be a sure-fire pick for the 2016-17 season, with a more matured game.
Da Windy City
Worst Case Scenario: No, and the Blackhawks mishandle a quality prospect.
McNeill is in the final year of an entry-level contract this season, and will become an RFA in a year’s time. If the Blackhawks don’t give McNeill enough looks, he may certainly look elsewhere to earn steady NHL playing time. If this happens, the Blackhawks will lose yet another talented prospect, this time, with only draft picks coming as compensation.
More from Blackhawk Up
- Blackhawks: Grading Connor Murphy and a position comparison
- Blackhawks: Shuffling the lines to try and spark offense at 5 on 5
- These Lineup Changes could Solve the Blackhawks’ Scoring Problem
- Blackhawks: List Of Things To Be Thankful For This Thanksgiving
- The perfect holiday gifts for the Chicago Blackhawks fan