Good Morning Chicago Blackhawks fans! It’s been a very tough week for the 1961 Stanley Cup Champions. Earlier this week the Blackhawks family lost Chico Maki and yesterday we found out the news that Al Arbour had passed away.
Arbour of course was a legendary coach for the New York Islanders. He was behind the bench for four straight Stanley Cup championships, but he also went on a Stanley Cup streak as a player.
He was a member of the 1961 Stanley Cup Championship in Chicago. He was left-handed defenseman that played 180 games for the Chicago Blackhawks over three seasons, and was a part of that 61 playoff run. He scored 6 goals and 17 assists during his stay with the Chicago.
After leaving Chicago for Toronto, Arbour went on to win two more Cups in consecutive season for the Maple Leafs giving him three in a row. He ended his career on the ice as the first St. Louis Blues Captain, although he wasn’t the most talented player on the ice he had a pretty solid career before going behind the bench.
It’s another sad day seeing one of the greats leave us, and to be honest a pretty bad week.
Here are some morning links to kick off your Saturday morning.
Most fans remember Al Arbour as the legendary coach of the New York Islanders, Here’s a look back from our friends on Long Island (Islanders Insight)
The Anthem Singer was back on stage, but this time it wasn’t with the Chicago Blackhawks but the Smashing Pumpkins (Blackhawks)
A look at one of the Chicago Blackhawks top prospects Nick Schmaltz (Second City)
The Chicago Blackhawks season opener and banner raising night conflicts with the NL Wild card game schedule (Madhouse Enforcer)
More from Blackhawks News
- Blackhawks vs Flames: Date, Time, Lineup, Betting Odds, More
- Three Takeaways from the Blackhawks’ Win vs Vancouver
- Blackhawks: Why Derek King is the Right Coach moving forward
- Marc-Andre Fleury Carries the Blackhawks to a 4-2 Win vs Seattle
- Instant Reaction: Blackhawks top Kraken for first time in history
A good list of Chicago Blackhawk All-time defenseman and where do they rank all-time (Hockey Writers)
A quick look in at what will happen at the Nashville Predators rookie camp (Predlines)
The Top 5 Reasons you should become a Dallas Stars fan right now (Blackout Dallas)
A question that was asked this time last year and never answered, Who will be the next San Jose Sharks Captain (Pro Hockey Talk)
More from Blackhawk Up
- Blackhawks: Grading Connor Murphy and a position comparison
- Blackhawks: Shuffling the lines to try and spark offense at 5 on 5
- These Lineup Changes could Solve the Blackhawks’ Scoring Problem
- Blackhawks: List Of Things To Be Thankful For This Thanksgiving
- The perfect holiday gifts for the Chicago Blackhawks fan