Chicago Blackhawks fans have a decent idea of what their team’s roster will look like heading into training camp and come opening night following the movement of Kris Versteeg and Joakim Nordstrom to get Marcus Kruger back in the fold. Of course, the elephant in the room isn’t going anywhere, and it’s the one lingering roster question for the 2015-16 season.
More From Blackhawk Up — Marcus Kruger, An Inside Look
What’s going to happen with Patrick Kane? The star winger’s future in the NHL, and especially with the Chicago Blackhawks, has been in flux since the initial announcement of a rape investigation involving the 26-year-old in early August. The latest news we had in the case involved Kane’s lawyers and the accuser potentially trying to negotiate a settlement, but it seems as though a previously scheduled grand jury hearing will take place sometime next week instead. Of course, conflicting reports have done nothing to clarify where this whole ordeal is.
More from Blackhawks News
- Blackhawks vs Flames: Date, Time, Lineup, Betting Odds, More
- Three Takeaways from the Blackhawks’ Win vs Vancouver
- Blackhawks: Why Derek King is the Right Coach moving forward
- Marc-Andre Fleury Carries the Blackhawks to a 4-2 Win vs Seattle
- Instant Reaction: Blackhawks top Kraken for first time in history
Therefore, it seems pretty unlikely Kane will be at Blackhawks training camp when it opens Friday at the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind. Regardless of whether he is or isn’t, most of the questions asked by reporters in attendance will be about Kane. If he’s, for some reason, actually in attendance, media members will flock to Kane and turn the event into a circus during which the Blackhawks will need to work very hard to maintain focus on hockey. If he isn’t there, the same thing applies, but the venue should be a little less circus-y.
There’s a good chance Joel Quenneville and his staff are aware of Kane’s intentions, and maybe the other players are as well. But we fans won’t find out until camp opens Friday. And while watching a hockey player do what he does best following a Stanley Cup run is the hope of many, do you really want to see it in this spot?
It creates a simple question, and now we ask it to you, fellow Blackhawks fans: Do you think Patrick Kane should be at training camp when it gets underway this week? Not do you think he’ll be there, but do you want him to be there. There is more than one way to think about this question, but there are really only two answers.
Let us know in the poll below, and feel free to explain why in the comments section.
More from Blackhawk Up
- Blackhawks: Key Takeaways from 3-2 win over the Blues
- Blackhawks: Grading Connor Murphy and a position comparison
- Blackhawks: Shuffling the lines to try and spark offense at 5 on 5
- These Lineup Changes could Solve the Blackhawks’ Scoring Problem
- Blackhawks: List Of Things To Be Thankful For This Thanksgiving