Oct 3, 2015; Vancouver, British Columbia, CAN; Edmonton Oilers goaltenderCam Talbot
(33) stops the puck after a shot by the Vancouver Canucks during the third period at Rogers Arena. The Vancouver Canucks won 3-2 in overtime. Mandatory Credit: Anne-Marie Sorvin-USA TODAY Sports
7. The Edmonton Oilers barely miss the playoffs
The Oilers really do have a chance to make the postseason if all the pieces come together quickly. Todd McLellan is behind the bench and he has proven he can get to the playoffs in San Jose. That’s not to sasy McLellan will lead Edmonton to a championship, but he’s gotten to the playoffs on a consistent basis before.
McDavid joins a young group of talented prospects. It’s hard to believe Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov, Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and other youngsters don’t take a step forward with a competent head coach. Edmonton paid a lot of money for Andrej Sekera, but he will serve as a reliable defenseman.
More from Blackhawks News
- Blackhawks vs Flames: Date, Time, Lineup, Betting Odds, More
- Three Takeaways from the Blackhawks’ Win vs Vancouver
- Blackhawks: Why Derek King is the Right Coach moving forward
- Marc-Andre Fleury Carries the Blackhawks to a 4-2 Win vs Seattle
- Instant Reaction: Blackhawks top Kraken for first time in history
The move that propels Edmonton closer to the postseason is the Cam Talbot signing. Talbot was excellent in relief of Henrik Lundqvist last year. New York’s defensive group was far better than Edmonton’s, but Talbot also deserves a ton of credit for his 2.21 goals against average and his .926 save percentage. Talbot will become a franchise goaltender the Oilers can rely upon.
The changes might not start to take form until midseason, but don’t be surprised to see the Oilers fighting for a playoff spot in the spring.
Next: What's the #6 Prediction?
More from Blackhawk Up
- Blackhawks: Three Noticeable Improvements in Comeback Win vs Blues
- Blackhawks: Key Takeaways from 3-2 win over the Blues
- Blackhawks: Grading Connor Murphy and a position comparison
- Blackhawks: Shuffling the lines to try and spark offense at 5 on 5
- These Lineup Changes could Solve the Blackhawks’ Scoring Problem