Fan voting for the 2016 NHL All-Star game has concluded today. The fan voting format had changed this year to reflect to the change in the All-Star game. The 2016 All-Star Game will be a 3-on-3 winner-take-all affair contest among teams from each of the four divisions.
More from Blackhawks News
- Blackhawks vs Flames: Date, Time, Lineup, Betting Odds, More
- Three Takeaways from the Blackhawks’ Win vs Vancouver
- Blackhawks: Why Derek King is the Right Coach moving forward
- Marc-Andre Fleury Carries the Blackhawks to a 4-2 Win vs Seattle
- Instant Reaction: Blackhawks top Kraken for first time in history
Each division’s roster will have six forwards, three defensemen, and two goalies. One player from each division will be voted onto the team by the fans; the other 40 players will be selected by the NHL Hockey Operations Department. Each team will have at least one player from every team in its division.
The NHL announced today that Patrick Kane will be named the Captain of the Central Division team. Kane currently leads the NHL in points at 56. He has 23 goals and 33 assists for the Chicago Blackhawks this season. His 33 assists leads the NHL. He also had the NHL’s longest point streak since Mats Sundin, 30 point game streak with the Nordiques in 1992-93. In the league with “scoring issues” Kane’s first half is very impressive. This will be Kane’s fifth All-Star game appearance his career.
The other captains in the game are Jaromir Jagr for the Atlantic team, Alex Ovechkin is Metropolitan Captain, and John Scott is the Pacific Division captain. Kane, Ovechkin, and Jagr were the obvious choices for All-Star Captains. Despite Jagr’s protests, he was still an obvious choice. Jagr is in the midst of a historic season and Ovechkin leads the best team in the NHL.
The Pacific division might have the most unlikely captain in the All-Star game history, John Scott. Scott of the Arizona Coyotes has appeared in 11 games this season. He has zero goals and one assist and averages 6:18 minutes of ice time per game. His one impressive stat is 25 minutes of penalty minutes. Despite leading the NHL vote, Scott has been waived by the Coyotes three times this season.
More from Blackhawk Up
- Blackhawks: Three Noticeable Improvements in Comeback Win vs Blues
- Blackhawks: Key Takeaways from 3-2 win over the Blues
- Blackhawks: Grading Connor Murphy and a position comparison
- Blackhawks: Shuffling the lines to try and spark offense at 5 on 5
- These Lineup Changes could Solve the Blackhawks’ Scoring Problem
The All-Star game will be three mini-games of 20 minutes each. The Atlantic Division will face the Metropolitan Division in one semi-final; the Central Division will face the Pacific Division in the other semifinal. The winners will play in the championship game. If the game is tied after 20 minutes, it will be decided in a shootout.
The All-Star game is will take place in Nashville at the Bridgestone Arena. It is the first time Nashville will host. The All-Star Game will start at 4 p.m. central time on Sunday, Jan 31st.