The Chicago Blackhawks trade Ryan Garbutt to Anaheim for Jiri Sekac. Sekac is a 23 year old Right wing from the Czech republic. This season he has appeared in 22 games recording one goal and two assists for Anaheim. Sekac was originally signed by the Montreal Canadiens after playing in the KHL with Prague Lev. In KHL, he enjoyed some offensive success. With Prague Lev, in two seasons he scored 11 goals and 18 assists in 73 games. In 69 NHL games with the Canadiens and Ducks, Sekac has recorded nine goals and 14 assists. The scouting report on Sekac from the Hockey news is : versatile sniper with good upside. Sekac will add more offensive upside to the fourth line with Richard Panik and Dennis Rasmussen.
The Ducks are getting Ryan Garbutt in return for Sekac. Garbutt was acquired by the Blachawks in trade with the Dallas Stars. The Blackhawks sent Patrick Sharp and Stephen Johns and received Trevor Daley and Ryan Garbutt. Garbutt appeared in 43 games with the Blackhawks recording two goals and four assists. For his Garbutt has appeared in 241 games between the Blackhawks Stars. He has 32 goals and 44 assists for his career.
More from Blackhawks News
- Blackhawks vs Flames: Date, Time, Lineup, Betting Odds, More
- Three Takeaways from the Blackhawks’ Win vs Vancouver
- Blackhawks: Why Derek King is the Right Coach moving forward
- Marc-Andre Fleury Carries the Blackhawks to a 4-2 Win vs Seattle
- Instant Reaction: Blackhawks top Kraken for first time in history
The acquisition of Sekac not only could help the Blackhawks in the short term but it also helps them in the long term. While Sekac salary cap hit is $925,000 this season and Garbutt is $900,000, the move is basically a wash this season. Next season Garbutt is under contract for 1.8 million with a cap hit of $900,000 (Dallas retained $900,000 in the trade), while Sekac is an Restricted Free Agent after next season. So If Sekac does not work out with the Blackhawks this season, the Blackhawks can walk away with no salary cap obligations next season.
Sekac is now the third player acquired via trade by the Blackhawks during this season. Richard Panik was acquired on January 3rd for Jeremy Morin and Rob Scuderi for Trevor Daley on December 14th.
More from Blackhawk Up
- Blackhawks: Three Noticeable Improvements in Comeback Win vs Blues
- Blackhawks: Key Takeaways from 3-2 win over the Blues
- Blackhawks: Grading Connor Murphy and a position comparison
- Blackhawks: Shuffling the lines to try and spark offense at 5 on 5
- These Lineup Changes could Solve the Blackhawks’ Scoring Problem
The Garbutt trade also is an admission of failure in the Sharp deal. Both players that Sharp was used to acquire are no longer with the Blackhawks. Both had little to no success with the Blackhawks this season.
The Blackhawks now have $2,324,914 in salary cap available this season. I believe this will not be the last move General Manager Stan Bowman makes this season. My expectation is that Bowman acquires a bottom pairing defenseman for the stretch run.
What do you think of the deal ?? Please leave your comments below.