No. 13: Joe Pavelski, C, San Jose Sharks
The seasoned veteran out West comes in at No. 13 on our countdown. Pavelski has 48 points on 24 goals and is sixth in the league in goals and seventh in points. He has led the Sharks to second place in the Pacific Division, and maybe a playoff run. His linemates, Joe Thornton and Tomas Hertl, have also been having great seasons, which shows in the fact that Pavelski’s plus/minus rating is plus-17. But Pavelski is the best player on the team, according to his numbers.
More from Blackhawk Up
- Blackhawks: Three Noticeable Improvements in Comeback Win vs Blues
- Blackhawks: Key Takeaways from 3-2 win over the Blues
- Blackhawks: Grading Connor Murphy and a position comparison
- Blackhawks: Shuffling the lines to try and spark offense at 5 on 5
- These Lineup Changes could Solve the Blackhawks’ Scoring Problem
For Pavelski’s entire career, he has been an outstanding possession player, which is amazing since he is not even 6 feet tall. He has a 56 percent Corsi-for mark, which is extremely good in this league. In the shots department, he clearly is a player who likes to shoot. He has 127 shots this season, with an 18.9 shooting percentage. Having Pavelski this low in the countdown really speaks to how many great players there are in this league. Pavelski is an amazing veteran talent who deserves all the credit in the world for his team’s success so far. But, there are simply better players in the league than him, and they’re more likely to win the Hart Trophy right now than he is.
Next: No. 12: Johnny Gaudreau