Chicago Blackhawks prospect Garret Ross has been charged with a felony after police say he shared an image of a woman engaged in a sexual act without her consent. The felony is most commonly known as “revenge porn.”
Ross charged with felony
The woman told authorities in September that she had been in a relationship with a teammate of Ross on the Rockford IceHogs. The woman says she ended that relationship when she found out that the player had a girlfriend. During the relationship, the woman admitted to exchanging nude images with the player, according to police reports.
According to the woman’s statement to the police, both Ross and his girlfriend, along with the teammate and his girlfriend, broke up after the women learned of the players using the popular dating app Tinder to meet other women. Both players say the woman in the case “spread lies” to their girlfriends, but the woman denies those reports.
According to the woman, she and Ross had a text conversation in which he “harassed her about Tinder and the video she has sent to his teammate,” and during that conversation is when Ross sent the video, according to police reports.
According to Sycamore police Commander Michael Anderson, “The images that were shared with him were not to be disseminated, and Ross knew that.”
Ross was charged on February 2 after investigators were able to obtain a search warrant for his cellphone. He was released on bond and was permitted to travel while he awaited trial.
A fifth-round pick by the Blackhawks in 2012, Ross has played with the IceHogs since being charged in February but has missed the last two games. According to WREX in Rockford, Ross was excused from practice for what head coach Ted Dent called “personal reasons.”
Ross is scheduled to appear in DeKalb County court for a status hearing in April. The IceHogs are currently in third place in the AHL Central Division ahead of a trip to Cleveland to face the Lake Erie Monsters on Thursday.
It is not clear what this means for Ross’ future with the Blackhawks organization. This is the second alleged incident involving some sort of sexual misconduct tied to a member of the Blackhawks system since last season ended. In a highly publicized incident, Patrick Kane was alleged to have been involved in a case of sexual assault last summer, though the case was later dropped and the NHL declared the accusations “unfounded.”