Good Morning Chicago Blackhawks fans!
The Chicago Blackhawks pulled a rabbit out of their hat on Sunday, one that most people believed wouldn’t be seen for at least another year.
All summer long reports were that Nick Schmaltz the Chicago Blackhawks last first round draft pick (2014) was heading back to the University of North Dakota for his junior season.
The tides must have turned for Schmaltz and Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman when the Chicago Blackhawks threw in Teuvo Teravainen in the Bryan Bickell deal.
There are plenty of roster spots to be had next year, and the promise of being able to compete for one of those spots had to be the deal maker in getting Schmaltz to sign a 3 year entry level contract with the Chicago Blackhawks this past weekend.
As much as the sting of the Teuvo trade hurts, knowing that Bowman was able to get Schmaltz to sign gives fans a little trust back in Stan. This of course doesn’t change the fact that Teuvo’s ceiling is still very high, and until we see Schmaltz on an NHL rink playing against NHL talent we’re not sure what we have except the highest ranked prospect in the system.
My question now is how much are they going to pay Andrew Shaw and how much will they be regretting the dollar amount 2 to 3 years down the line? Oh and when will they extend Artemi Panarin? So many questions so much summer!
More from Blackhawks News
- Blackhawks vs Flames: Date, Time, Lineup, Betting Odds, More
- Three Takeaways from the Blackhawks’ Win vs Vancouver
- Blackhawks: Why Derek King is the Right Coach moving forward
- Marc-Andre Fleury Carries the Blackhawks to a 4-2 Win vs Seattle
- Instant Reaction: Blackhawks top Kraken for first time in history
Here are Some Chicago Blackhawks Morning Links To Kick Off Your Work Week!
Of course the story of the day was the fact that Nick Schmaltz had signed his 3 year entry level contract (Blackhawks)
Now that Teuvo is gone, who will and who will not the Chicago Blackhawks protect next year in the expansion draft (Second City)
See what the CSN team had to say about the Blackhawks signing Schmaltz (CSN)
The Chicago Blackhawks trade of Teuvo Teravainen to the Carolina Hurricanes was a dangerous but necessary move by the franchise (ISportsWeb)
More from Blackhawk Up
- Blackhawks: Three Noticeable Improvements in Comeback Win vs Blues
- Blackhawks: Key Takeaways from 3-2 win over the Blues
- Blackhawks: Grading Connor Murphy and a position comparison
- Blackhawks: Shuffling the lines to try and spark offense at 5 on 5
- These Lineup Changes could Solve the Blackhawks’ Scoring Problem
Former Minnesota Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom is heading to Finland to play on a one year contract (NHL)
What are some of the dark horse fits for the lottery teams at the end of the 2016 NHL Draft (Bleacher Report)
For the Nashville Predators to take the next step, here are three Preds that need to turn their games around next year (Predlines)
The last installment of the year of jersey fouls (Puck Daddy)