“Have another doughnut!”
More from Editorials
- Blackhawks: List Of Things To Be Thankful For This Thanksgiving
- Blackhawks: Changes to the coaching staff are a step in the right direction
- Chicago Blackhawks: Reasons for optimism and cause for concern
- Blackhawks: Kick off four game road trip against Kraken
- Recapping the Jeremy Colliton era with the Chicago Blackhawks
That this coaching rant from 1988 is still easily remembered today says a lot about the impact it had on the NHL. Setting the stage, New Jersey was walloped by Boston in an Eastern Conference finals game, and Devils coach Jim Schoenfeld was unhappy with the officiating.
He chased the officiating crew, led by Don Koharski, down the tunnel once the game ended to give the group a piece of his mind. Schoenfeld got right in Koharski’s face, and Koharski fell — or was pushed by Schoenfeld, as he believed.
As the parties were separated, the two were still shouting at one another. It eventually led to Schoenfeld explaining Koharski’s stumble thus: “’Cause you fell, you fat pig! Have another doughnut!”
The result was Schoenfeld being suspended for the next playoff game, but the Devils brass got an injunction to block the ban, meaning Schoenfeld could coach in a game officiated by the same group of refs. So Koharski and Co. refused to take the ice, resulting in replacement refs calling an actual NHL playoff game.
That part of the incident is extremely embarrassing for the league, but what led to it is such a ridiculous moment of rage, it has to live on.
Next: Minor Issue