In case people did not know, the Blackhawks organist plays Chelsea’s dagger when a Blackhawks score during a home game. If you’re anything like me, you play the song on your phone when the Blackhawks score on the road. Blackhawks fans please join me in cueing the dagger. Here is the list of the Top 5 projected goal scorers for 2013-2014.
1. Jonathan Toews: The captain is my choice for the number # 1 goal scorer. Last season he scored 23 goals in 47 games. The belief here is that Toews will benefit this season from a full season of passes from Patrick Kane. Another reason Toews will be the leading goal scorer for the Blackhawks will be his other line-mate in Bryan Bickell. Bickell will provide that net presence on the power-play that will open up more goals for Toews.
2. Patrick Kane: Kane last season had the most points on the Blackhawks. He was tied with Toews at 23 goals. The thought process with Kane being second is that he will get more assists than goals this season. Kane has always been known for his stick handling and passing ability. He will lead the team points but not in goals. He will also benefit from his line-mates Bickell and Toews.
3. Marian Hossa: Hossa should be the third leading goal scorer on the Blackhawks. He scored 17 goals last season in 40 goals. Hossa being number three on this list is dependent on his health. He hopefully will be fully recovered from his back injury. In the short season, he only played 40 of 48 games. Hossa’s goal numbers will also be affected by his line-mates. He figured to be pair with Patrick Sharp and the new second line center. Even at the age of 35, Hossa will be in the top 3.
4. Bryan Bickell: Bickell is my first shocker in the top 5. Bickell last season scored 9 goals in 48 games. Keep in mind, Bickell was not on the first line during the regular season. Bickell was on the fourth line during the regular season. My thought process is Bickell will continue to thrive with his new line-mates Toews and Kane. He will continue to build off a big Stanley Cup run and put together a big offensive season.
5. Brandon Pirri: Brandon Pirri is the newest the Blackhawk on the list. He only played in one game with the Blackhawks last season and did not score. Pirri did have 23 goals and 33 assists with the Rockford Icehogs last season. He was team leader in points. Pirri is going to be the second line center in my mind. Pirri has a nose for the net and will benefit immensely from being the second line center. He will also have great line-mates in Hossa and Sharp. (My assumption is the Sharp and Hossa are on the second line).
Honorable mention: Brandon Saad: Saad was fourth on the team with 10 goals last season. I didn’t put Saad in the top 5 because I’m not sure what line he is going to play on. If he plays on the third line, his goal production will suffer because his ice time will diminish. Saad will hopefully prove me wrong and force his way into the Top 5. Saad also needs to ward off the dreaded sophomore slump.