May 18, 2013; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Blackhawks right wingPatrick Kane
(right) celebrates with centerPatrick Sharp
(left) after scoring a goal against the Detroit Red Wings in the first period of game two of the second round of the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs at the United Center. Mandatory Credit: Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports
The Blackhawks face Detroit in Game #4 down 2 games to one in their building which would suggest the Hawks are in trouble. The Hawks are in need of a win to tie up the series and with a win the world would be put back in order. Here are my top five reasons why the Hawks win tonight.
1. Jonathan Toews Period. This is the longest playoff drought of his great young career and after getting pushed around in Game #2 he was close several times in Game #3 including a goal post to scoring his first goal of the playoffs. The Captain is the reason the Hawks had such a great regular season and he is the reason the Hawks are going to win Game #4. He may not score a hat trick tonight, but the former Conn Smythe trophy winner will finally announce his arrival and turn the tide back in favor of the Blackhawks with a huge productive game tonight.
2. The Bounces will Even Out. The bounces have not gone the way of the Hawks. It almost feels like someone at Buffalo Wild Wings is hitting the extend button to make sure this was a long series (maybe NBC) Bounces and goal posts have a way of evening out in a seven game series that’s why the Stanley Cup is the greatest trophy to win. This isn’t March Madness when it’s one and done. The bounces and bad calls can’t go against the Hawks for seven games. The Hawks hit three posts and deflected out that won’t happen again tonight.
3. The March to the box ended Monday night. The Hawks will not take another stupid penalty again this series. Yes, there will be penalties on the Hawks but there will not be anymore Andrew Shaw stupidity in Game #4. The Hawks have been a very disciplined team that avoided the box during the season and after two days off with the coaching staff in their ears, they know they cannot kill momentum in Game #4 by continuing to take stupid penalties. There is no award at the end of the playoffs for most penalty kills so let’s stop looking at how many in a row we have killed off and just stay out of the box.
4. Sense of Urgency Will Be Skyhigh. The Blackhawks with their backs to the wall can be the most exciting team in the NHL to watch. During the streak a couple of times they played at a fever pitch and came out on top with their urgency at an all time high. One of those times was the game against Detroit down 1-0 late in the third and with everyone playing fast Viktor Stalberg stole the puck and got it to Patrick Kane for the tying goal. This team needed adversity to see what it was made of and in Game #4 with their backs to the wall for really the first time all season long they will come out with an all-time amount of urgency and be flying all over the ice to notch the victory.
5. Patrick Kane always rises to the top when the chips are down. As much as I think the Captain will break out tonight, Patrick Kane is on a two game goal streak and is always dangerous when the chips are down for the Hawks. In 2010 when it looked like the Nashville Predators where about to take a 3-2 series lead to Nashville he scored the game tying goal to tie the game and get it to overtime for the eventual Marian Hossa winner. In the Cup clincher, the Hawks gave up a late 3rd period goal and the momentum was with the Philadelphia Flyers when in overtime Kane scored the greatest Hawks goal in my lifetime. Kane has magic on his stick when it looks like things are at its worst for the Hawks and he always seems to do something unforgettable. It is the first time it’s look grim at all this season for the Hawks so look for Kane to become a superhero again tonight.
The Red Wings are not going to lay down tonight, but the Hawks will find a way to bring the series back to Chicago 2-2 and for me it’s starts with 19 and ends with 88 and I’m sure there will be some 81 sprinkled in for good measure. This team has the heart of a champion and it will be on full display tonight!
What is your #1 reason why the Hawks will win Game #4?
For more Blackhawks updates and conversation follow us on Twitter @Blackhawk_Up or Like us on Facebook at Blackhawkup.