Boston Bruins Pull Even With The Blackhawks After 2-1 OT Victory

By Keith Schultz

Jun 15, 2013; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Blackhawks goalie

Corey Crawford

(50) reaches up for the puck above defenseman

Johnny Oduya

(27) and defenseman

Niklas Hjalmarsson

(4) during the overtime period in game two of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final against the Boston Bruins at the United Center. Mandatory Credit: Scott Stewart-USA TODAY Sports

One had to wonder what kind of effect the triple overtime game would have on both teams heading into Game #2 of the Stanley Cup Finals.  The first period it appeared the 3OT was hardest hit on the Boston Bruins.  The Blackhawks took it to the Bruins in the first period and the only thing between the Hawks and a 4-0 lead was Tuukka Rask.  The Hawks did get a 1-0 lead when the Hawks after a furious forecheck were able to put the puck in the net when Patrick Sharp shot one through a bunch up in front of Rask.  The Hawks looked like they possibly scored a second goal when the puck crossed the line but the ref blew the whistle and even when it went to replay the call stood up.  The long delay saved the day for the Bruins who were able to weather the storm and even though they were outshot 19-4 in the first period were only down a goal.

The second period started out with a lot more of the same but the tide turned with the Bruins finally finding their legs and the Bruins started to push back sadly with the help of some terrible powerplays by the Blackhawks. The Hawks weren’t able to maintain the lead when Chris Kelly banged home a rebound. The one Boston Bruins who had found his legs especially Jaromir Jagr.  The Bruins controlled the pace and the puck to the frustration of many of the players wearing red at the United Center.  The Hawks after putting 19 shots on goal in the first period only had 4 shots on goal in the 2nd period and a tie game heading to the third period.

The third period looked like a 20 minutes skate in total exhaustion.  Both teams looked tired and winded and you would have thought the Hawks would have the advantage but the period really was the Bruins. The Hawks only managed 5 shots on Rask while Jagr looked like the best skater on the ice at times. The Bruins had 8 shots on goal and the majority play and what seemed like a contest that was all Blackhawks somehow was headed to another overtime with the Bruins holding the momentum card.

Overtime was more of the same with Jagr hitting the crossbar early on and the Hawks not being able to sustain any type of pressure.  With over half of the first overtime gone Brent Seabrook threw one around the boards that somehow Brandon Bollig wasn’t able to coral.  The Bruins took the puck and it ended up on Daniel Paille stick and it ended up in the back of the net over Corey Crawford’s glove hand. The goal ended overtime and the Blackhawks are now off to Boston with the series tied 1-1.

-This is the first series tied 1-1 after two games in the Stanley Cup Finals since 2004.

Viktor Stalberg should be playing Monday with the freshest legs in the series by a mile.

-The Hawks powerplay that was unwatchable last season has somehow gotten even worse in 2013.

-Patrick Sharp and Marian Hossa had 7 shots on goal each

-The Hawks were out shot 24-15 after the torrid first period

-Winning a Cup is the hardest thing to do and this series first two games proves that

-Game #3 is in Boston Monday Night, puck drops 7:20 Central

For More Blackhawks conversation and updates follow us on Twitter @Blackhawk_Up or Like our new Facebook page Blackhawkup.