May 18, 2014; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Blackhawks goalieAntti Raanta
(31) in game one of the Western Conference Final of the 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs at United Center. Mandatory Credit: Mike DiNovo-USA TODAY Sports
We had so much fun doing our Countdown to Faceoff series last season that we decided to do it again. The calendar has turned into September ,we look at jersey numbers from past and present as we count down the days until October 9th and opening night against the Dallas Stars.
We are one month and one day away from the Blackhawks opening night. Two Antti’s have worn #31 in Blackhawks history as well as quite a few other players and goalies. Here is a quick look back at the #31’s in Blackhawks history.
1. Ken Solheim-1980 Solheim played his first 5 NHL games with the Hawks scoring 2 goals. He played until 1986 scoring 19 goals and 20 assists in 135 games played.
2. Steve Ludzik-1982 Ludzik also wore #29 with the Blackhawks. Ludzik played 413 games with the Hawks scoring 46 goals and 92 assists over his 9 year career.
3. Dan Frawley-1984 Frawley played 30 games with the Hawks scoring 4 goals and 3 assists before moving on to the Pittsburgh Penguins for the rest of his career.
4. Bob Sauve-1985-1987 Suave went 38-32-7 in between the pipes for Chicago during his 84 games started in Chicago. In his 420 game NHL career he went 182-154-54
5. Jacques Cloutier-2000-2001 Cloutier played 53 games in Chicago scoring 20 goals and 18 assists. He finished in Quebec in 1994 playing in 255 games scoring 82 goals and 102 assists.
6. Jeff Hackett 1993-1998 Hackett came to the Hawks from San Jose for a 3rd round pick and during his tenure in Chicago he went 61-63-25 before getting moved to the Montreal Canadiens for Jocelyn Thibault.
7. Marc Lamothe-2000 Lamothe played 2 games with the Hawks going 1-1.
8. Craig Anderson-2003-2006 Anderson played 50 games with the Hawks going 12-29-6 and while he struggled during his time for the Hawks between the pipes he’s become one of the best goalies in the league while playing for the Ottawa Senators. After a slow start to his career he’s raised his career totals to 168-135-40
9. Brian Boucher-2007 Boucher made a 15 game pit stop with the Blackhawks during his 328 game career. During his stay he picked up a goal and 10 assists. His career totals are 120 goals and 139 assists.
More from All Time Blackhawks
- Blackhawks’ Legend Niklas Hjalmarsson Retires After 14 Seasons
- Blackhawks: The five longest tenured captains in team history
- Blackhawks News: Andrew Shaw Retires At Age 29
- Best Blackhawks Goalie of All-Time: Esposito, Hall, or Crawford?
- The Jersey Numbers Never Worn in Blackhawks History
-2009-2010 Niemi’s stay with the Hawks was very brief only 41 games, but it isn’t his regular season stats that anyone will remember Niemi for in 2010. Everyone will remember Niemi for helping the Hawks end the 49 year streak without a Stanley Cup. Niemi has 16 playoff wins with Chicago and then signed a free agent contract with the San Jose Sharks.Patrick Kane
jumping into Niemi’s arms will always be one of the best Blackhawks memories ever.
11. Antti Raanta– 2013-2014
Raanta was pretty solid during Corey Crawford‘s injury time but was a bit shaky as a once a week backup, but the organization like enough of what they saw from Raanta to re-sign him for the upcoming season.
What do you think of Raanta as Crawford’s backup?
For more Blackhawks updates and conversation follow us on Twitter @Blackhawk_Up or Like our Facebook page at Blackhawkup