Mar 1, 2014; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Blackhawks defensemanJohnny Oduya
passes the puck against the Pittsburgh Penguins during the second period in a Stadium Series hockey game at Soldier Field. Mandatory Credit: Rob Grabowski-USA TODAY Sports
We had so much fun doing our Countdown to Faceoff series last season that we decided to do it again. The calendar has turned into September ,we look at jersey numbers from past and present as we count down the days until October 9th and opening night against the Dallas Stars.
We are down to 27 days left until the Blackhawks season opener, and we have reached a number worn by an all-time fan favorite and a Stanley Cup winner. Here is a look back at the #27’s in Blackhawks history.
1. Bobby Sheehan-1976 Sheehan played one season with the Hawks scoring 11 goals and 20 assists before heading to the Detroit Red Wings.
2. Jeff McDill-1977 McDill only played one game in the NHL and that was with the Hawks, during that game he didn’t crack the scoresheet.
3. Michel Archambault-1977 Archambault made it to the NHL for only 3 games and all he has to show for it is a -3.
4. Jean Savard-1978-1979 Savard played in 43 games with the Hawks picking up 7 goals and 13 assists. This was Savard’s only NHL experience.
5. Darryl Sutter-1980-1987 The Captain of the Blackhawks and the oldest of all the Sutters played 8 seasons with the Hawks during the 80′s. In his 406 games wearing #27 for the Blackhawks he scored 161 goals and 118 assists.
6. Rick Vaive 1988-1989 Vaive played 876 games in the NHL scoring 441 goals and 337 assists. He played 96 out of his 876 games in a Chicago sweater scoring 55 goals and 49 assists.
7. Jeremy Roenick-1989-1997
Game Winning Goals-38
Game Winning Goals-8
Roenick was the biggest fan favorite of the era and it was one of the saddest days in Hawks history when Roenick was traded forAlex Zhamnov
. Roenick scored over a point a game during his career with Chicago and although he only spent 1/2 his career with Chicago he is still 8th all-time in points with Chicago.
8. Todd Simpson-2006 Simpson played 45 games with the Blackhawks picking up 3 assists in Chicago.
9. Craig MacDonald-2007 McDonald played 25 games with the Hawks scoring 3 goals and 2 assists before moving on to the Tampa Bay Lightning.
10. Andrei Zyuzin-2008 Zyuzin played the final 42 games of his 496 NHL game career scoring 2 goals and 3 assists with the Blackhawks.
11. Pascal Pelletier-2009 Pelletier played 7 games with the Hawks with only a -4 to show for his NHL career.
More from All Time Blackhawks
- Blackhawks’ Legend Niklas Hjalmarsson Retires After 14 Seasons
- Blackhawks: The five longest tenured captains in team history
- Blackhawks News: Andrew Shaw Retires At Age 29
- Best Blackhawks Goalie of All-Time: Esposito, Hall, or Crawford?
- The Jersey Numbers Never Worn in Blackhawks History
12. Johnny Oduya-2012-present Oduya has only lost a handful of regular season games in regulation and has won a Stanley Cup. Oduya is one of Stan Bowman’s better trades because it didn’t cost anything and is made the Blackhawks 2nd defensive pairing one of the best in the league. Oduya is still be rumored to be traded along with Nick Leddy and Michal Rozsival so it will be interesting who stays and who goes.
Who is your favorite #27?
For more Blackhawks updates and conversation follow us on Twitter @Blackhawk_Up or Like our Facebook page at Blackhawkup