Jan 22, 2014; Detroit, MI, USA; Chicago Blackhawks defensemanMike Kostka
(6) against the Detroit Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena. Red Wings defeated the Blackhawks 5-4. Mandatory Credit: Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports
We had so much fun doing our Countdown to Faceoff series last season that we decided to do it again. The calendar has turned into September ,we look at jersey numbers from past and present as we count down the days until October 9th and opening night against the Dallas Stars.
It’s October and we are finally in our last week of counting down the games until opening night and we have reached the number 6. The last player to wear #6 was Mike Kostka a defenseman that was in the rotation with Michal Rozsival and Sheldon Brookbank last season until an ankle injury early in the season shut him down for more than a month. Kostka was traded to the Tampa Bay Lightning but his presence did cost the Blackhawks Ryan Stanton who was picked up on waivers by the Vancouver Canucks before the season started.
There of course have been quite a few previous players in Blackhawks history to wear #6 so let’s take a quick look at some of them.
1. Doug McCaig-1948-1951 McCaig played in 171 games for the Blackhawks scoring 2 goals and 11 assists for Chicago.
2. Clare Martin 1952 Martin played in 31 games scoring 1 goal and 2 assists.
3. Benny Woit-1955-1957 Woit played in 72 games scoring 1 goals and 9 assists.
4. Ian Cushenan-1957-1958 Cushenan played in 72 games for the Hawks scoring 2 goals and 8 assists.
5. Norm Johnson-1958-1959 Johnson only played in one season for the Hawks appearing in 7 games with 1 goal.
6. Reggie Fleming-1960-1964 Fleming appeared in 261 games for the Hawks picking up 21 goals and 26 assists. Fleming picked up one goal during the 1961 Stanley Cup run for the Blackhawks.
7. Lou Angotti-1969-1973 Lou played in 6 seasons with the Blackhawks, during his tenure he scored 51 goals and 96 assists.
8. Bob Murray-1976-1990 Murray held down #6 for the Blackhawks for 1,008 games scoring 132 goals and 382 assists. Murray is right behind Doug Wilson in most defensive records except for games played with the Hawks which he is the leader. Murray is the current GM for the Anaheim Ducks.
9. Frantisek Kucera-1991-1993 Kucera played in 232 games for the Blackhawks scoring 14 goals and picking up 49 helpers.
10. Michal Sykora-1996-1998 Sykora scored 2 goals and 12 assists in 56 games with the Hawks.
11. Kevin Dean 1999-2001 Dean played the final 96 games of his 331 NHL Game career with the Blackhawks picking up 2 goals and 19 assists during his stay in Chicago.
12. Phil Housley 2001-2003 Housley played in 1,495 games in the NHL with 137 of those games with the Hawks, He scored 21 goals and 47 assists during his short stay with the Hawks.
More from All Time Blackhawks
- Blackhawks’ Legend Niklas Hjalmarsson Retires After 14 Seasons
- Blackhawks: The five longest tenured captains in team history
- Blackhawks News: Andrew Shaw Retires At Age 29
- Best Blackhawks Goalie of All-Time: Esposito, Hall, or Crawford?
- The Jersey Numbers Never Worn in Blackhawks History
13. Jaroslav Spacek-2005-2006 Spacek was with the Hawks for one season scoring 7 goals and 17 assists.
14. Lasse Kukkonen-2007 Kukkonen appeared in 54 games during his stop in Chicago scoring 5 goals and 9 assists before heading to the Philadelphia Flyers.
15. Sean O’Donnell- 2012 O’Donnell played one year for the Hawks and my only memory of him is his terrible play during the Phoenix Coyotes series. O’Donnell played in 1,224 games in his NHL career scoring 31 goals and 198 assists.
6 Days left!! For more Blackhawks updates and conversation follow us on Twitter @Blackhawk_Up or Like our Facebook page at Blackhawkup