Apr 23, 2015; Nashville, TN, USA; Nashville Predators center Mike Ribeiro (63) skates past Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Johnny Oduya (27) during the second period in game five of the first round of the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs at Bridgestone Arena. Mandatory Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports
The Blackhawks had a chance to finish off the Predators in five games. The Predators showed tonight why they were the second seed in the Central Division. It appears that the Bridgestone arena is now a house of horrors for the Blackhawks goalie. Scott Darling took his licks for the first time tonight. He allowed one goal through the first period only to open up the flood gates in period three. Darling allowed three goals in less than three minutes. The Blackhawks never recovered from that onslaught.
More from Blackhawks News
- Blackhawks vs Flames: Date, Time, Lineup, Betting Odds, More
- Three Takeaways from the Blackhawks’ Win vs Vancouver
- Blackhawks: Why Derek King is the Right Coach moving forward
- Marc-Andre Fleury Carries the Blackhawks to a 4-2 Win vs Seattle
- Instant Reaction: Blackhawks top Kraken for first time in history
Here is how it all happened:
1st period: Nashville was energized by the home crowd and started off fast. Despite the early push by the Predators the Blackhawks struck first. Brad Richards, yes Brad Richards scored the Blackhawks first goal of the game. The Blackhawks lead 1-0 after the Richards’ goal. The Blackhawks lead would be short lived as Filip Forsberg tied the game up less than a minute later. The first period ended tied at one.
2nd period: The second period was played fast and with very few whistles. Nashville had 11 shots on goal and the Blackhawks had seven. Brent Seabrook would spend two minutes in the box for slashing but no goals were scored. The second period ended knotted at one.
3rd period: The third period did not go the Blackhawks way. The Predators James Neal scored 44 seconds into the period. That would only be the beginning of the Nashville goal barrage. Less than two minutes later, Colin Wilson added his fifth goal of the playoffs. Forsberg would add his second goal of the night just 12 seconds after Wilson. The Blackhawks would not go quietly into the night. Patrick Kane completed a spinorama pass to Kris Versteeg for the Blackhawks second goal. The Blackhawks would put pressure on the Predators but ultimately fall short. Forsberg would add a shorthanded goal for his first playoff hat trick. The Blackhawks fall to the Predators 5-2.
NEWS AND NOTES:
- Filip Forsberg recorded his first playoff hat trick.
- Andrew Shaw and Paul Gaustad were both given 10 minute majors for fighting.
- The Blackhawks lost a Game 5 for the first time in 13 Game 5’s.
The Blackhawks will return home to the United Center on Saturday. The game will be at 7pm central time and can be seen on NBCSN. The Blackhawks are also faced with the goalie question. Who do the Blackhawks start in net for Game 6, Corey Crawford or Scott Darling??
The Blackhawks still lead the series 3-2.
Thank you for visiting Blackhawkup.com
More from Blackhawk Up
- Blackhawks: Three Noticeable Improvements in Comeback Win vs Blues
- Blackhawks: Key Takeaways from 3-2 win over the Blues
- Blackhawks: Grading Connor Murphy and a position comparison
- Blackhawks: Shuffling the lines to try and spark offense at 5 on 5
- These Lineup Changes could Solve the Blackhawks’ Scoring Problem