The Chicago Blackhawks have played in a lot of playoff games in the Jonathan Toews/Patrick Kane era, and although they haven’t, it seems like almost everyone of those games goes into overtime. This playoff season was no exception with the Chicago Blackhawks opening the 2015 playoffs with a Triple Overtime winner from Duncan Keith.
This past season the Blackhawks lost only once in overtime when Anaheim struck quickly in Game #5’s overtime when Matt Beleskey knocked in a rebound, but for the Anaheim Ducks having a 3-2 lead is their kryptonite and they never got close to winning another game from the Chicago Blackhawks.
Overtime games are special because it’s so sudden Death! Here is a quick list of my Top 5 overtime winners in Chicago Blackhawks history since 2009 before we go to the video showing all of the Chicago Blackhawks overtime winners since 2009.
5. Brent Seabrook vs Boston Bruins Game #4
This was the turning point of the series in my point of view, because the Blackhawks should had won the game in regulation but some strange bounces helped Boston tie it, but Seabrook fired the game winner to tie the series at two a piece.
4. Jonathan Toews vs St. Louis Blues Game #5
Winning on the road is great, but winning in overtime on the road is better, winning on the road against your hated rival in overtime to take a 3-2 lead is Priceless! Toews got the puck after aDuncan Keith
clear and was in all alone and beatRyan Miller
, this is a great call by Pat Foley too.
3. Patrick Kane vs LA Kings Game #5
This goal propelled the Chicago Blackhawks to the 2013 Stanley Cup Final. It was a great goal with a perfect pass fromJonathan Toews
. It’s hard to believe this one only ranks 3rd in my list even with it giving Kane a hat trick too!
More from Blackhawks News
- Blackhawks vs Flames: Date, Time, Lineup, Betting Odds, More
- Three Takeaways from the Blackhawks’ Win vs Vancouver
- Blackhawks: Why Derek King is the Right Coach moving forward
- Marc-Andre Fleury Carries the Blackhawks to a 4-2 Win vs Seattle
- Instant Reaction: Blackhawks top Kraken for first time in history
2. Brent Seabrook vs Detroit Red Wings Game #7
This could be your #1 best overtime goal if you want it to be. The goal was set up by a huge hit fromDave Bolland
and the puck found its way to Seabrook who’s shot beatJimmy Howard
and the series was over!!
#1 Patrick Kane vs Philadelphia Flyers Game #6
Of course the Stanley Cup clincher is #1! This goal ended a streak that had lasted since 1961, and just like that the first Stanley Cup for the first time in 49 years was lifted by Jonathan Toews, and low and behold the floodgates have opened with the Blackhawks now having won 3 Cups in 6 seasons.
It’s great fun looking back at the Top 5, but here is a video of all of the Chicago Blackhawks overtime winners since 2009, the list begins withMartin Havlat
vs the Calgary Flames and it ends withAntoine Vermette
‘s overtime magic in Game #5 of the 2015 Western Conference Finals. A lot of great memories and the best part is that it feels like the entire roster from 2009 until present makes an appearance in this video!
Which overtime goal is your favorite?
More from Blackhawk Up
- Blackhawks: Three Noticeable Improvements in Comeback Win vs Blues
- Blackhawks: Key Takeaways from 3-2 win over the Blues
- Blackhawks: Grading Connor Murphy and a position comparison
- Blackhawks: Shuffling the lines to try and spark offense at 5 on 5
- These Lineup Changes could Solve the Blackhawks’ Scoring Problem