It’s been a head-pounding exercise watching the Chicago Blackhawks play most of this season, and it’s high time some changes were enforced
The Chicago Blackhawks are the definition of insanity this season. The team keeps doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
The ’Hawks keep running out the same lineups each game. Tanner Kero, Jordan Oesterle and Michal Kempny have been eating popcorn in the suite for the most of the season. None of the three players are superstars, but isn’t change sometimes a good thing?
Kero did have a goal and an assist in his last two games back in November. Oesterle or Kempny are definitely faster than Brent Seabrook.
The ’Hawks finally broke up the first line of Jonathan Toews, Richard Panik and Brandon Saad. This line has been the definition of underperforming. Toews has not rebounded like everyone thought they would with Saad back on his wing. It hasn’t help that Panik is also not producing.
Panik has been horrible this season. Panik has five goals and nine assists for 14 points. That is a far cry from his 22 goals and 22 assists from last year. This is also another example of general manager Stan Bowman giving out a big raise to guy who has only produced for one season.
Did I mention the Blackhawks are 1-2-2 in their last five games?
More from Analysis
- Blackhawks: Three Noticeable Improvements in Comeback Win vs Blues
- Blackhawks: Key Takeaways from 3-2 win over the Blues
- Blackhawks: Grading Connor Murphy and a position comparison
- Blackhawks: Shuffling the lines to try and spark offense at 5 on 5
- These Lineup Changes could Solve the Blackhawks’ Scoring Problem
Ideas for change
It’s time for a change. The ’Hawks need to shake things up. Here are some suggestions:
- Bench Seabrook and play either Kempny or Oesterle. Seabrook is awful, and the ’Hawks need to realize it. I thought they did when he only played 14:29 against Nashville and 14:08 against Dallas. His minutes then went back up to 22:00 and 21:13 in games afterward.
- Shake up the powerplay units. The powerplay is killing the Blackhawks. They have “One Goal” in their last million attempts. I am kidding, it has not been that long — but it feels like it some days.
- Play Kero. He can’t worse than some of the guys who are playing now, right?
- Recall a player from Rockford. Vinnie Hinostroza ,for example. Hinostroza is lighting it up in Rockford and brings speed to any game. The ’Hawks are very much lacking in the speed department.
- Make a trade. The ’Hawks need to shake up the NHL roster by making a trade. Whether it is adding Evander Kane or someone else, they need to add someone to improve.
The Blackhawks organization needs to get the memo: Their current guys are not cutting it. It has gotten to that point where a change is needed. They need to change for the sake of change now. That is not a good thing.