On August 13th, 2018, Patrick Kane announced he will be joining Connor Murphy in the upcoming Stars and Stripes Showdown on Sunday, August 26th.
The Stars and Stripes Showdown will be taking place at the USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Michigan. The game is in honor of USA Hockey’s Jim Johannson, the assistant executive director of USA Hockey. Unfortunately, Jim passed away while sleeping in his Colorado Springs home on the morning of Jan. 21.
He was only 53.
Johannson was born on March 10, 1964, in Rochester, Minnesota. He spent nearly all of his career working in hockey and thus earned the respect of many people inside and outside the sport.
He was drafted in the 7th round of the 1982 NHL Entry Draft by the Hartford Whalers. Jim went on to play with Team USA in the 1988 and 1992 Olympics. Later on, Johannson worked as the general manager for the Twin Cities Vulcans from 1995-2000. That five-year stint with the Vulcans eventually resulted in a championship winning season.
More from Blackhawk Up
- Blackhawks: Three Noticeable Improvements in Comeback Win vs Blues
- Blackhawks: Key Takeaways from 3-2 win over the Blues
- Blackhawks: Grading Connor Murphy and a position comparison
- Blackhawks: Shuffling the lines to try and spark offense at 5 on 5
- These Lineup Changes could Solve the Blackhawks’ Scoring Problem
He then left to join USA hockey as the manager of international activities. Additionally, he handled U.S. Olympic Committee relations.
In August of 2003, he took over as senior director of hockey operations. Jim would go on to become the assistant executive director of hockey operations. In this position, he took care of “all in-sport related initiatives, including USA Hockey’s efforts in putting teams on the field of play for international competition,” this according to USAHockeyArena.com
Further than competing in 1988 and 1992, in his time with USA Hockey the U.S. won 64 medals in major international competition (34 gold, 19 silver and 11 bronze). Jim had a heavy hand in helping the American Development Model grow into what is today.
Stars and Stripes Showdown
In memory of Jim Johannson, Team USA is holding the “Stars and Stripes Showdown” On August 26th. Taking place at the USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Michigan, tickets are being sold for $10 and $15 for purchase here.
All proceeds generated from the game will go towards the Jim Johannson Legacy Fund of The USA Hockey Foundation and the Ellie Johannson College Fund. If you wish to contribute, there’s information below taken from the USA Hockey Arena’s website.
For donations to the Jim Johannson Legacy Fund, click here.
To contribute to the Ellie Johannson College Fund, send a check or money order to:
Eleanor Johannson 529 Education Fund
c/o Morgan Stanley
34901 Woodward Avenue, Suite 300
Birmingham, MI 48009″
In addition to Patrick Kane, here is a list of some notable participants in the upcoming game.
Da Windy City
- Connor Murphy (Chicago Blackhawks)
- Dylan Larkin (Detroit Red Wings)
- Auston Matthews (Toronto Maple Leafs)
- Seth Jones (Columbus Blue Jackets)
- Ryan Suter (Minnesota Wild)
- Zach Parise (Minnesota Wild)
- Cam Fowler (Anaheim Ducks)
- Jacob Trouba (Winnipeg Jets)
- Craig Anderson (Ottawa Senators)
- Alex Tuch (Vegas Golden Knights)
- Kyle Connor (Winnipeg Jets)
- Matthew Tkachuk (Calgary Flames)
- Connor Hellebuyck (Winnipeg Jets)
- Connor Carrick (Toronto Maple Leafs)
- James van Riemsdyk (Philadelphia Flyers)
- Charlie McAvoy (Boston Bruins)
- Jimmy Howard (Detroit Red Wings)
- Zach Werenski (Columbus Blue Jackets)
The game is full of star-studded talent and all proceeds will benefit an amazing cause, and person. If you wish for more information, feel free to check out their website for more.
There is only Corey Crawford days until Chicago Blackhawks hockey is back!