We had so much fun doing our Countdown to Faceoff series last season that we decided to do it again. In case you’re new to the series, we’ll do a roster preview as we count down the days until the Chicago Blackhawks raise their 6th Stanley Cup Banner on October 7th season opener against the New York Rangers.
We have reached 34 in our countdown to opening night, and the last player to wear the jersey number 34 in Chicago Blackhawks history was just a footnote. Tim Erixon arrived in the Jeremy Morin trade to the Columbus Blue Jackets, and although there were hopes he could fill the skates of the injured Trevor van Riemsdyk, Erixon was only around for 8 games.
Erixon was on the ice for 8 games in Chicago Blackhawks history and all he had to show for it on the scoresheet was a +1. No goals or assists or a penalty minute so basically he was a just a skater for 8 games, but we had to mention him since he was the last to wear #34. Erixon wasn’t the first player to wear #34 and actually there have been quite a few 34’s so here’s a look-in at all of the 34’s in Chicago Blackhawks history.
More from All Time Blackhawks
- Blackhawks’ Legend Niklas Hjalmarsson Retires After 14 Seasons
- Blackhawks: The five longest tenured captains in team history
- Blackhawks News: Andrew Shaw Retires At Age 29
- Best Blackhawks Goalie of All-Time: Esposito, Hall, or Crawford?
- The Jersey Numbers Never Worn in Blackhawks History
1. Tony Poeta-1952 Poeta played in one NHL game without recording a point.
2. Bill Gardner-1981-1987 Gardner also wore #14. The Blackhawks 3rd round pick in 1979 played in 355 games with the Hawks scoring 72 goals and 108 assists.
3. Perry Pelensky-1984 Pelensky played in 4 games without a point.
4. Victor Posa-1986 Posa played in two contests wearing #34 with hitting the scoresheet.
5. Tony Horacek-1992-1994-Horacek played in 41 games with the Hawks picking up a goal and 5 assists before exiting the NHL forever.
6. Ryan VandenBussche-1998-2004 VandenBusshe wore a bunch of numbers for the Hawks but it started with #34, His totals in Chicago were 279 games with 7 goals and 11 assists.
7. Blair Atcheynum-2000 63 games with the Hawks picking up 6 goals and 9 assists.
8. Jason Strudwick 2002-2004 Strudwick played 102 games with Chicago scoring 3 goals and 6 assists. Strudwick played 642 NHL games picking up 13 goals 42 assists.
9. Jim Dowd-2006 Chicago was just a 60 game pit stop in a 728 game NHL career. Dowd picked up 3 goals and 12 assists in a Blackhawks jersey.
10. Reed Low-2007 Low played his last 6 games of his 256 NHL game career with the Hawks without a point.
11. Nikita Alexeev-2007 15 games with the Hawks with 2 goals and no assists.
12. Petri Kontiola-2008 Kontiola played in 12 games in the NHL all with the Blackhawks picking up 5 career assists!
13. Finally Dylan Olsen 2012-2013. Olsen somehow was on the team in the 2012 playoff series against the Phoenix Coyotes. He spent most of 2013 in Rockford and then he was traded to the Florida Panthers this past season with Jimmy Hayes. No matter what the spin, this trade is the reason that Kevin Hayes is now a New York Ranger instead of a Rockford Ice Hog or a 2015 Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawk.
There is the countdown for 34.. You can almost feel training camp about to start!
More from Blackhawk Up
- Blackhawks: Three Noticeable Improvements in Comeback Win vs Blues
- Blackhawks: Key Takeaways from 3-2 win over the Blues
- Blackhawks: Grading Connor Murphy and a position comparison
- Blackhawks: Shuffling the lines to try and spark offense at 5 on 5
- These Lineup Changes could Solve the Blackhawks’ Scoring Problem