We had so much fun doing our Countdown to Faceoff series last season that we decided to do it again. In case you’re new to the series, we’ll do a roster preview as we count down the days until the Chicago Blackhawks raise their 6th Stanley Cup Banner on October 7th season opener against the New York Rangers.
The countdown keeps creeping towards zero with our stop today at 22, and we arrive at a number last worn by a Stanley Cup champion. Jamal Mayers may not have had the biggest influence on the ice in 2013, but he was a huge voice in the locker room for the 2013 Stanley Cup Champions especially in the Detroit Red Wings series.
As we all know, the Chicago Blackhawks were down 3-1 to the Red Wings, and it appeared that even the Captain Jonathan Toews had lost his cool in Detroit. As legend has it, Mayers rallied the troops before Game #5, and even shot some pucks during warmups on Detroit goalie Jimmy Howard. The Blackhawks rallied and kept on winning all the way through 17 seconds, and the team even petitioned to have Mayers name on the Stanley Cup for his leadership during that playoff run. This offseason Mayers was hired by the Chicago Blackhawks as a community liaison.
More from All Time Blackhawks
- Blackhawks’ Legend Niklas Hjalmarsson Retires After 14 Seasons
- Blackhawks: The five longest tenured captains in team history
- Blackhawks News: Andrew Shaw Retires At Age 29
- Best Blackhawks Goalie of All-Time: Esposito, Hall, or Crawford?
- The Jersey Numbers Never Worn in Blackhawks History
There have been quite a few #22’s in Chicago Blackhawks history so here’s a quick look at all some of those players.
1. Al Dewsbury-1951-1955 After the first 34 games of his career with the Detroit Red Wings, Dewsbury finished the rest of his 347 NHL game career with the Blackhawks totally 30 goals and 78 assists.
2. John Miszuk-1966 Miszuk played 5 games with the Chicago Blackhawks, scoring 1 goal and 1 assist.
3. J.P. LeBlanc-1969 LeBlanc played 6 games with the Blackhawks picking up a goal and an assist before heading to the WHA.
4. Jim Wiste -1969-1970 Wiste appeared in 29 games collecting 8 assists before heading to Vancouver.
5. Jerry Korab-1971-1973 Korab started his 975 NHL Game Career with the Chicago Blackhawks, he dressed for 186 times for Chicago scoring 25 goals and 34 assists.
6. Grant Mulvey-1975-1983 Mulvey is the only Chicago Blackhawks to have a 5 goal night. Through a injury plagued career Mulvey scored 149 goals and 135 assists.
7. Gary Nylund-1987-1989 Nyland skated in 189 games for Chicago scoring 14 times with 37 assists.
8. Adam Creighton 1989-1992 Creighton appeared in 209 contests for the Blackhawks, He scored 77 goals and 84 assists while having his best season of his career in 1990 scoring 34 goals and 36 assists.
9.Christian Ruuttu-1992-1995 Ruuttu skated in 158 contests for the Hawks scoring 28 goals and 63 assists. He played the last 25 games of his 601 game career with Vancouver after playing with Chicago.
10. Igor Korolev 2002-2004 Korolev played the final 120 games of his 795 NHL Game Career with the Blackhawks. He scored 7 goals and 15 assists with Chicago while finishing with 119 goals and 127 assists for his career.
11. Troy Brouwer 2006-2011 Brouwer won the Cup with the Hawks in 2010, and now will reside back in the Central division with the hated St. Louis Blues.
12. Jamal Mayers 2011-2013 Mayers played 100 games and scored 6 goals, but his biggest contributions were off the ice.
There you have it!! Only 22 more days to go until opening night!